Re-Doing 4YR 55 Gallon (BEWARE PICS)

Well, Couldn't find it and the tank wouldn't look good anyways, so here you can see the progression of the tank....

Humble begginings (26lbs of rock orginally 13 but added that large one....)
05ba821e.jpg
alt="">

Bought 25 more lbs of rock off of the forums and basically made a wall
09889bdc.jpg
alt="">

Re arranged them into a NEW wall
5c481230.jpg
alt="">

Got a new lighting fixture and added 40lbs of southdown and had a sandstorm like yours, this was taken xmas day last year...
e581bfa4.jpg
alt="">

This is that april, bought more rock off the boards and a peice or two from the LFS where I used to work
Re-Aquascape.jpg
alt="">

Frank from franks tanks took care of my tank for a week and did a little re-arranging
FullUpdatedTankShot.jpg
alt="">

Cant remember where this is but is the derivision of my aquascape now with the big arch
FullShot.jpg
alt="">

Got a little more rock that wass attached to some corals and BTAs
FullShotwflash.jpg
alt="">

Tried to re-vamp the big arch a little bit
IMG_0104.jpg
alt="">

The 2nd to newest aquascape...
FTS.jpg
alt="">

and y'all will have to wait for the newest untill I can find the camera... or memory card.

Lets see some more of yours

Wow, its cool to see how yours is coming along. Looks better each time 8) . Ill go snap a few quick ones right now.

It was pretty clear when i went in there, but i flipped on the lights and decided to change somthing, back to dust storm haha.
Picture3045.jpg
alt="">

An angled shot showing the valley and arch.
Picture3049.jpg
alt="">

Another shot showing the arch and the main cave. The cave is huge inside, basically takes up the entire main mass of rock. The clowns will love it haha.
Picture3048.jpg
alt="">

Looking at it im gonna need more LR if i decide to put corals in there haha, or at least that my excuse!

Travis

thanks, check it now i fixed two pics that were screwed up. I'm getting a nanocube from the folks this xmas and bought some of what they think is "surplus" rock that is gonna go in the cube that I have in conspicous locations right now so it looks a little bad. I actually upgraded in the summertime from my 55 "tub" to the 58 RR and it actually made me 50 bucks of of selling and buying. I really love this built in overflow box. I bought the tank off of ebay in dallas for a mere 150 bucks! I sold it without half the equipment for 200! I love making a profit. I'm actually going to donate and maintain it at the west center in a couple of weeks after I upgrade at home!

That sounds like a plan to me. Hopefully one day ill make some extra cash off this hobby. Till then it takes whatever i have.... haha. The pics really dont do the detail work on the rock justice. Ill be sure to follow up with more and more pics as it progresses... Its weird that most people our age are in bed waiting for christmas, but we are here posting pics of our tanks... haha, how awesome. We must be addicted!

Travis

Yeahup, it is pretty weird lol, more than half my list was for my tank(s) and the rest was just cloths and ect. Most people definatly wouldn't ask for the kinds of things we did lol/

Thats so true haha. Well my friend, im out for the night! OH wait Morning lol. Ill repost tomorrow, hope to converse some more tomorrow..

Travis

Testfeld, I dont have much now but i could always make more 8) .

Travis

Travis, Looks good.
I do see one thing that isnt quite clear to me.

The rock on the far left looks like it is almost on the glass. this looks like a potential cleaning problem in the future.

can't wait to see it when its clear.

Yes Chvy, it does touch the glass in a small place. I can still fit my siphon hose and a razor blade in there. Ill go take some pics for yall right now :lol: beacause its almost clear.

Travis

Heres a full shot.
Picture3016.jpg
alt="">

Right Side.
Picture3020.jpg
alt="">

Left Side.
Picture3024.jpg
alt="">

Tank and Refugium stand. We are going to go get some fake trees and plants to surround the area.
Picture3026.jpg
alt="">

Travis

Before
Picture2020.jpg
alt="">

After
Picture3026.jpg
alt="">

<hr class="bbcode_rule" />

Before
Picture2032.jpg
alt="">

After
Picture3016.jpg
alt="">

Leave any feedback, Good or Bad. We also cant forget hints or tips to make it look better :lol: . Hope everyone has a great Christmas and Christmas EVE! Happy Hollidays!

Travis

If you know where the reactor is leaking, it can be fixed with Weld-On #3 or #16 more than likely. I'd leave it offline for 24 hours to cure before adding water and firing it up again.

I agree about the rock on the left. As long as you don't mind moving it each time you need to clean the glass, its not a big deal. I try to always leave enough room on all viewing panels to move the cleaning magnet in that area.

I dont mind moving it Marc. Ive been looking through your site and reading your guide on Phyto culturing. Ill be starting that soon to feed the tank so be expecting to see me around more often :lol: (I like to ask alot of question and talk). The tank is 100% clear except for the rocks. Im not sure out to clear the rocks off without clouding the water, Maybe a turkey baster? Hope everyone has enjoyed their christmas eve.

Travis

An update for my friends:

Tank is pretty clear.
Picture3003.jpg
alt="">

Surface Ripple.
Picture3005.jpg
alt="">

1) So this week i got a full schedule based around the reef. Tomorrow, since i will finally had time, that Ca-Reactor is coming out. I think the Mag pump is also dead on it now :sad: . Just my luck!

2)Im also going to start a Phyto culture or at least get the supplies to start on it.

3)Clean out my insufficient skimmer (for the 3rd time this week)

4)Plan out a cleanup crew

5)Get all new test kits

6)Order new RO filters and plan out a top off system (dont ask me how yet lol). I just dont see how im going to tie in my RO filter with the sink. Its all chrome under sink (no copper) and steal braided hoses. The sink is broken so it needs new plumbing anyways. Im sure i just automatically vaulenteered for the job lol.

7)Clean up electrical and install GFCI.

After i get these things done the tank will be done for quiet awhile. Ill spend all my money on the tank in preparation for new coral and not have any money to actually buy coral :lol: .

If anyone has suggestions on clean up crews critters or RO system hook up please chime in, I know Marc has already mentioned saddle valves but i have no copper in there to peirce.. Hopefully ill be able to buy some corals off the local DFW members :wink:

P.S. ill post more pics as i go along!

Happy Hollidays
Travis

etropicals.com has nice cleanup crews that you can build yourself and get free shipping. Its the route I go and I'm ordering some for my new nanocube!

Have you looked at Keys Critters? They have awesome prices. The only downside is that they have a 100 minimum. I guess this site is directed for distributors and people with Huge tanks, or a group biu :twisted: . Im still debating if i would be able to safely fit 100 worth or critters in my tank and refugium. Would look very alive with 100 mini hermits going crazy across the sandbed lol. Heres the link http://keyscritters.com/

Would anyone like to build me a Cleanup crew from Key Critters for a 55gal with 10 gal fuge? :lol: .

Anyways, today i made a trip to the LFS. Got rigid airline tubing, tubing, air stones, and a 3way air valve to start my phyto culture. Still need a few item but im just getting everything ready. So much to do, so little money lol.

Travis

its too bad we're too far apart, if you'd be willing to drive out here I'd definatly split that buy with you. I'll try and remember to get a pic of my tank man!

I would make the drive if i had a job. You know how much gas cost for a 96 tahoe?! lol Its outrageous. Could tell the parents i was going to check out colleges 8) .

Travis