Rant! - New Blue Tort frag turning brown....

@Matt wrote:
[I]@Please_fly_AA wrote:[/I][quote="Figures...... :evil: said:
Give us some detail of your system. How long have you had the Tort frag? What kind of lighting do you have over it? High bio-load? Etc?"]

Also include placement in tank, flow it is getting, are there any softies in the tank or nearby, etc.

29 gal.
250xm 10k halide.
Flow may be shielded by large Millapora next to it.
It sitting directly under halide.
It's been in about 3 weeks.

Your tank has a lot of softies in it. Do you run carbon actively, replacing it regularly?

I have carbon running all the time.
Replace once a month.

I only have xenia and gsp.
All others are frogspawn, hammers.
Some zoas attached to rock that I did not buy.

What is your PH, Ca, Alk, & Mg levels? Also you said you had the Blue Tort for three weeks? Was it dark blue in color when you got it?

how old are the bulbs in the halides, maybe its just not getting the spetrum it needs...i had a blue tort frag under 10ks and it turned a beautiful coloration...bright and georgous looking

thats probably your problem right there...they say metal halides should be changed 6 months preferably 9 months ago. I doubt it is getting half of the light it needs.

The age of the lights could be the problem but you should check both your phosphates and nitrates levels as well. ORA corals are fairly durable.

and don't forget - some sps take a month or more to settle in and adjust to any change in envirnment. If it's just changing color that's one thing, if it's bleaching or loosing flesh that's a problem.

I'll add, you may need to change carbon more then once a month

they do like high flow and strong lighting, could mbe any of the things listed so far. And as stated make sure your parameters are all in check.

Now it's turning a light lime green..... :shock:
I did put in a new xm 10k and raised my alk a little and magnesium.

hey hey! glad to hear it! a new 10k should get you a nice turquise base with blue tips when its said and done...maybe some other things will give you new life and colors as well now...