questions

ok so I have a few questions. I saw a seahorse tank at aquatic design that interested me. It was a 12 gallon nano cube. That was kind of weird to me as I had never seen or heard of seahorses in a nano cube as I thought the flow was to strong. But they seemed to be just fine since there was plenty of stuff to grab on to.

So can seahorses be kept in a nano cube?

Also I have never seen people use xenia in a seahorse tank. Mose people use macro algea. Is there something wrong with using Xenia?

Also can sexy shrimp be kept with seahorses?

thanks

Seahorses have specific needs. I'm no authority, so feel free to do your research and correct any statements I've made as necessary.

They need low flow, but more flow is okay as long as they can pursue food.
No hydroids.
No aiptasia.
No intense lighting.
Darker substrate is recommended.
The tank should be 3 times the seahorse's total length.
Temperature varies, determined by the species kept.

I have a cleaner shrimp with my seahorse, and it will clean Casper sometimes. Not always a good thing, but it hasn't caused any harm either. Here's my tank. I've had this tank running for a few months now.

http://www.melevsreef.com/pico.html

I don't see any problem keeping horses in a Nano tank.

A lot depends on what species you are wanting, how many and if you want to breed them. I have the two juvis I bought in a nano cube with modified flow (pump is only 72gph). These horses will be moved to a larger tank when they grow.

Most Nano's aren't very tall (the JBJ is only about 12" in tank height less sand base of 1" only gives water height of about 11"). Full grown erectus can grow to about 6" long so definitely too small for an adult.

Also temperature control can be an issue on the small tanks...for tropical seahorses you will want to keep the water temperature at about 75-76 degrees maximum.

Carolyn

The seahorses you saw at Aquatic Design are juvenile Reidi seahorses. The tank they are in is fine for now but they will eventually need a bigger tank. They can grow to be 7 or 8 inches. Seahorses need a tank with height to help with mating and getting air bubbles out of their pouches. You can put seahorses with soft corals. It is not recommended to put seahorses with lps or clams. I think sexy shrimp are too small to keep with full grown seahorses. They will probably eat them. I have kept peppermints and camel shrimp with mine.

Marc has done a good job with his seahorse although he is going against what most people recommend. Would you put a fish that grows to be 7 or 8 inches in a 2 gallon tank.

Well I was wanting somthing that had an adult size like the ones at AD. Do you all have any suggestions? Also I only want two or three and have no intention of mating or breeding them. I am also looking into a chiller that can be put into the back of the cube right now. OH and BTW can you guys post FTS of your seahorse tanks? I have seen many pics of individual horses but not so many FTS. I was also wondering if any of you guys keep and breed the Hippocampus capensis.

thanks

Nicki, as soon as I have the time to build Casper's new condo, you'll be impressed I promise. :)

Harial, I will try to post some fts when I get a chance. I don't know of any seahores that are the size of juvie reidi when full grown. Dwarfs should be kept in nano's and only get to be about 1.5 inches. Dwarfs usually will only eat newly hatched brine shrimp. I don't think there is anyone local keeping Capensis because of the temp. requirements. There is someone on seahorse.org who has been raising and selling Capensis.

Marc, thats good to hear. Are you planning on getting casper a partner?

@Nicki wrote:
Harial said:
I am looking to install two ICA Chillers from nano customs that install right into the hood. I am not really all that keen on dwarf seahorses because of their small size. I am thinking of getting a couple of the capensis. But not till spring of next year. I want to completely grow out the environment for them before adding them. And not to sound stingy(though I kind of am since I am a poor college student) but the lady on seahorse.org is asking 100 for hers plus shipping but ocean riders(whom I have never heard anything but good about) wants 75. So I think I may go for the professionally aquacultured seahorses rather than a hobbyist especially if she is wanting more money for them. But yeah I have been all over seahorse.org gathering info on the seahorse.

I personally love Ocean Rider and will buy from them over someone else any day. Keep us updated on how your capensis do.