Question

tminyard1

Membership Expired
I have had my tank up and running for about 8 months, i just put in a refugium 2 months ago, I have Caluripa and Cheato in the refugium. I had an outbreak of a yellow brownish slimy looking alagae. It is also real stringy and when you touch it, it breaks apart real easy.does any know what this is or have any suggestions on how to get rid of it.

Thanks

any way of posting a picture?
it may be cynobacteria, not a big deal but it pretty much grows anytime you have excess nutrition, low light and low flow.

Sounds like cyano to me too. You can increase flow and add some black turbos (not Mexican turbos), they like cyano.

My advice is more frequent water changes and increased skimming power. Thats what worked for me. With the water changes siphon out as much as possible and once it starts looking even a tad out of hand do another water change. Its going to suck for a while but then you'll be able to go a full week and a half with barely any slime! Also helps to decrease the amount of feeding and not add fish until its starting to get under control. I've also heard of going a few days without light but I'm scared of my 'nems getting mad at me. A little elbow grease doesn't hurt anyways. :D