Question about Radion Lighting

Denellum

Premium Member
So, here's my schedule. Just wondering if there should be any tweeks or what you guys think?View attachment 4600I am using the default A+B with max intensity set to 80% and a 6 week acclimation starting at 40%. This is for my tank described here :http://www.dfwmas.org/community/tank-builds-up-to-100-gallons/denellums-13-5-fluval-evo-tank-work-in-progress/ It's shallow, but i think because of all the SPS i have in it, it will need to be this bright... any thoughts?

Drop your max to 40-45 %! At 80 you will fry everything. People with 30 inch + tanks run them up past 75%

Posted by: b22 Drop your max to 40-45 %! At 80 you will fry everything. People with 30 inch + tanks run them up past 75% said:
Even thought these only have 1 puck and i have the diffuser attached. Currently i am borrowing 2 par meters, and the par right next to the SPS are at about 250-260 (when it will be at the full 80%)

Personally, turn it up more!  A PAR of around 250-260 sounds low to me.  Sure it'll make things look decent, but if you have the nutrients and overhead to keep up you might as well turn it up more.  I don't think that puts you anywhere near photo-inhibition.Two things to consider:1) If later you want more light you can do so by turning the whites up a bit as those are pretty low in that program.  It will of course result in a different appearance.2) Remember that a lot of people have the XR30 as their reference point, and this is half of that.  EDIT: When I say "Low" I mean "You can get away with much higher, which will be a benefit to some of the corals in your tank".  I do not mean "That isn't enough to keep things alive".

There is no set par that all sps like. Sps can do great in low par light and some like high. I personally have always had better success running Radions at lower intensity 

I think that's due to your low nutrient input.  Clean water can't support as much growth as higher light tries to drive.

Posted by: Denellum Well then that leads to my next question said:
4605[/ATTACH]"]I'm not home at the moment and don't want to play with my lights remotely, but I suspect that 100% is total unit power, not percent of cycle.  Try putting the white and color channels to 100%.  This may be the same as setting the unit to 12k and 100% power.  Color preferences aside it'll probably be pretty loud as well, I know the XR30's are when left at 100% on all channels (my greatest complaint about these lights in fact).  Mind you I'd rather have my lights be loud than have a faster LED decay curve over the years, even if I do plan to upgrade to newer models vs. keep them forever.

Based off of the colors you chose to run and their percentages is why you ended up with 69%. The blue side of the spectrum is only about 70% of the lights power

Posted by: DNA  Based off of the colors you chose to run and their percentages is why you ended up with 69%. The blue side of the spectrum is only about 70% of the lights power said:
Gotcha! Makes sense!

I wonder if you guys are getting lower readings because you have the gen4 with the new lenses. You have more spread of the colors causing less penitration. 

He is much lower than the BRS values still, although now that I think about it, distance to the light wasn't mentioned, which is rather critical to the question.

If we're talking SPS what is the gold standard, a 400 W single ended Radium on an slightly over driven magnetic ballast?  I wonder what that puts out at 12-18 inches with a decent reflector.