Question about live rock

Hey everyone, this board is great and the members always have good advice so I figured I would make use of it. I had some live rock in an aquarium that broke and so I took a hiatus but am now getting back into the wonderful world of salt. So here goes, I had the rock stored in 5 gallon buckets with nothing else in them. I knew I would have to start over as far as curing the rock when I got back in the hobby. However I had a water leak in the garage where they were stored and water got in the buckets and I was unaware. I pulled them out and realized the buckets were full of water and all covered in green algae. So my question is what can I do to this rock to insure that the green algae that is on them now doesn't find its way into my new tank? Is there a way to treat the rock to minimize the potential damage. I appreciate any info you can give and cant wait to get the new tank going again. Thanks!!

I am not an expert here but if you are planning on curing the rock again I would think you can take the rock out of the buckets, let it dry out and the algae should die off over several days. Again, if you plan on curing the rock again you could also consider using a brush on the rock to remove as much algae as possible.

so you stored the rock and fresh water leaked into all the buckets some how? What are the chances of that? If thats the case your going to have to dry the rock out and treat it like base rock. You could have easily kept it alive by storing it in a bucket with a power head and a heater and some salt water.