Question 2 - protein skimmer

JumboAg99

Membership Expired
[W/ a 75g I was planning on the AquaC EV 120.

Now I have bought a 90 instead. I'm going to have a decent sized sump under the stand, so...

EV 180 probably would be better. Wouldn't the EV 120 be pushing the limits on it. (Bigger is better to a certain extent)

I'm leaning towards the AquaC instead of the ASM/EuroReef b/c I was warned that the EuroReef is a royal pain to try to remove from the sump compared to the AquaC.

Yes/No?]

[Have you compared the height of the larger skimmers to the avail height on the inside of your stand? The Aqua C's really need to be elevated a bit to get maximum effect, and the std height stand just won't accomodate with in the larger skimmers. I had a 36" tall stand, and the EV180, and it was just barely enough room once elevated. I know the directions show, or used to show, this isn't necessary. It is, or at least was in my case.]

[My AquaC needs to be elevated as well, and in a 36" stand is a snug fit vertically like Duane said.
Im not running a Euro or an ASM, but for all the folks I know using them I cant think of one who has needed to pull the whole skimmer out.]

[The new Aqua C EV-series can sit in 9" of water. If your sump has deeper water levels, you have to elevate it.

That is why I build sumps with 9" baffles, because it will work with the Aqua C and ER skimmers.]

[I agree. My Aqua-C did a very poor job when it sat on the bottom. I rased it about 5 in. and it works super.]