Purple tangs

I got a purple tang today. I was thinking about getting another one. My question is, is it ok to have there more then one purple tang?

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using Tapatalk

it is normally not ok to have two tangs from the same genus at all (Acanthurus, Zebrasoma, Paracanthurus, etc...), if you want more than one of each then your best bet is adding them at the same time but you generally need a large aquarium so they can keep their distance if they so desire. I have tried 3 yellow tangs (zebrasoma) in my 210 and it was not big enough or did not have enough hiding spots, yet others have had success, so it can still be hit or miss. if you can get another one today, that would be your best shot at them getting along. Add it as soon as you can and turn the lights out for the day.

I was thinking 650gal would have been big enough. Well right now my problem is yellow tang is attacking the new purple tang.

sorry, didnt go search for your tank size. but yea, they will do that, same type of tang more or less.

Yea! Got the yellow tang out. I like purple tang better. So far I have 3 regal tangs, 1 naso tang and one purple tang. I am planning on getting Hercules tang, clown tang, Vlamingii tang and unicorn tang. Would all these tangs be ok together?

yellow/purple - Zebrasoma
regal - Paracanthurus
clown - Acanthurus
vlamingii - Naso
unicorn - Naso
naso - naso

----

clowns in general are hard to care for, unicorns and vlamingis might fight, and any current tang could be an issue with any new one

Just add the similar fish together and you should be fine in your tank. Odd numbers is normally best too.

I dont think you will have an issue. When I bought my first tangs, I bought 3 yellow tangs a little over the size of a quarter and put them all in a 42 Hex. I bought them well over 10 years ago and I still have two of them. One died in a tank move. I have the following tangs in a 255.

2 yellow Tangs
1 Bariene Tang
1 Achilles Tang

If you buy them at the same time, they will get along ok, and they will have a fight every now and then..but that is no big deal. But they do team together when they need too. If I were you I would go with the first idea of about 3-5 purple tangs. That would be beautiful. Mix that with a big school of anthius and you will have a nice color contrast. Either way all the Tangs are beautiful.

With the Tangs, its best to add them all around the same time if you want a better success rate. Not to mention if one if them has flukes or something and wipes out all your fish. From my experience, you need a really good skimmer, lots of water movement, something to keep the nitrates down and a UV sterilizer is the key ingreadant for those tangs that like to get ich.

Good luck.

@Wes wrote:
Benefit of a 650 ;) said:
So true... Tangs in my Tank: Naso Tang, 3 Regal Blue, 1 Yellow(Planning on getting 2 more) and 2 purple tangs. Planning on also adding 1 vlamingi tang, 1 unicorn tang, 1 hercules and 1 Sohal Tang.

If anyone has a large tang thats too big for their setup and are looking for a good home them please let me know.

Thanks!