Pump recommendations

I have a 55 gallon tank with a refugium/sump that is between 10-15 gallons. Basically, the water drops from the tank into the refugium part of the sump (it does go over some chemi-pure first so water isn't gushing directly into refugium), then water goes into second chamber through some drilled holes. That second chamber has an Urchin skimmer. Then the water is taken back up to the tank through an Iwaki WMD-20RLT external pump. The tubing between Iwaki pump & tank does T off so that water enters main tank in two places.

I want to start looking around for a replacement pump so that when the Iwaki dies on me, I'll have an immediate replacement. We've had the Iwaki for about 7 years now. I'd rather start looking around for a deal now and take my time than have to go pay inflated prices at a store because I need it immediately.

I do have a Tunze 7310/2 in the main tank to help with flow. I realize I could get a more powerful return pump than what I have now, but I do want to be careful not to put too much flow through the sump since the water flows directly through the refugium.

What suggestions do you great folks have for me? Since having my son 3 yrs ago and my daughter 1.5yrs ago, I have NOT had time to keep up with the latest info in the saltwater world like I used to do.

Oh, I have soft corals and a couple LPS...no SPS, and fish. So, I don't need flow for SPS.

I am a big fan of the Quiet One pumps. Thay can be used either internal or external. Low noise, low heat, all around great pumps.

Any specific one of the Quiet One pump you would suggest for my situation? Again, I'm fine getting more flow than I have now, but don't want to go max flow because of the way my refugium/sump is set up. I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Quiet One or Eheim would be your best bet. Both are quiet, efficient and put out little heat. Stay away from Mag Drives.

im setting up a 10 gallon sump this weekend and I am using a quiet one 1200 (296gph). Hopefully its enough power for my tank. The next size up is the QO 2200 and I think its around 550gph. Dr fosters and smith has some great deals on them.

So, I posted this back in 2009. My setup is still the same (no SPS, etc.). Would y'all still agree with the recommendations given above (Quiet One 2200 or an Eheim) for an external pump to replace my Iwaki? My Iwaki is starting to make some noise every now and then, so I'm guessing it is about to die on me. Would love to find something that has as good of a track record as this Iwaki. Had it since we set up our tank about 11 years ago (I think)...I know it has been at least 10 years...It's been running non-stop for all that time. It's been a good & faithful pump!

Any suggestions on which Eheim for my situation?

Also, are folks no longer using the Iwakis for a reason? When I started my tank years ago, it was the one to get. Just curious...

The pump scene hasn't changed significantly in the last three years. I'll be the contrarian and recommend another Iwaki. [smilie=lol.gif] Same model--just drop it in. What could be easier? You'll be hard pressed to beat an Iwaki at overall value/performance/longevity. Ehiem's are quality pumps but you'll end up with less flow compared to what you have. Ehiem would be my #2 choice.

So what is the rule of thumb on what is good/bad as far as current plumbing & input/output of pump? In other words, my current iwaki is 3/4" input & output. I do NOT want to do a huge plumbing change, so I am also leaning towards sticking whith iwaki with the same input/output size (maybe bump up to a 30rlt for more flow). But if I do change, is it a no-no to have the input of the new pump be larger than what I have? Should the input stay the same or smaller? What about the output? Should the output of the new pump be the same size or larger?

The outpt can be reduced, but not the input. ¾" is common for pumps in that range. You should be able to bump up a size with no problem.