Pump Question

75 Gal tank ..
Pipes are 3/4 "

Return ----> 18W UV ( rated at 1,000 GPH ) ----> 1/4 Chiller ---> return to tank...

I have a pump seems to be 1,200 GPH ... Yet... flow is slower then expected...

Any ideas ? I thought about buying another pump with a Higher PH rating ... and just valving the excess off...

My thoughts are the pump i have does not have the power to push through the UV and Chiller ..

Every bend, twist, curve, elbow, 45, connection, or union will slow down that 1200gph. Also, is the 1200gph at the pump or is it 1200 at the return? (head pressure, is it 1200gph at 5 foot?) What pump us it?

I know the chiller will greatly reduce your flow. I am running a pair of Mag 12 return pumps and have one going to a chiller which substantially reduces the amount of flow. Guessing the UV and the rest of the plumbing are just too much. You could try opening it up to 1" return pipe starting at the pump and where ever else you can. Even though the max inlet size is 3/4" on the chiller, using 1" where you can would help. Or you can just setup the chiller on a dedicated pump that goes to and from your sump.

Is it all through one pipe or is it going through a manifold?

it is all in series... 3/4 " from start to end...
I will have to re think the new stand i am about to start building to add additional room for plumbing.. lol

I was going to dedicate a pump for the chiller but have one out put and was worried about back pressure...

What i am thinking about doing is getting a bigger return pump T out... one to UV and one to Chiller...
Then T back in prior to out put.. with larger diameter...

Going in at 3/4 to equipment then going bigger wont increase flow. For example garden hose connected to a 1" pvc pipe it doesn't increase flow

Manifold it out and have the chiller and uv empty back in to the sump not back into the tank the more turns and linear piping is causing your pressure loss

I have attached a link to the head pressure charts for all mag pumps. You will notice that your pump at normal tank height is closer to 1000gph than the 1200gph. That with it not being in a direct line to the tank(meaning pump, UV, chiller, return spout) you are losing several hundred more gph. That and all the unions, turns, ect. are costing you output.

http://www.marinedepot.com/powerheads_pumps_danner_mag_drive_supreme-ap.html

I would either add a pump that has a slightly higher rating than your chiller should handle and then run it this way... Run from your pump/sump--chiller--UV--sump (create a loop that starts in the sump and ends in the sump)
OR, purchase a larger pump and leave the setup, as is, and have the Mag12 as a backup. Study the flow chart and realize that you are losing 300-500gph in your current setup so compensate for that. If you want 1000gph at the return you need to have a pump that is rated for 1300-1500gph at 5ft. You can always add a Tee in the line and branch it off to your sump if you fill like the flow is to much for your tank.
Hope this isn't to confusing.

If you have the space, what Pampee is telling you to do will work out great. I think a manifold is the best option.

Also you want the uv after the chiller in my opinion.

If your chiller has its own temperature controller your uv is heating the water and the goes into the chiller so chiller might stay on a little longer

one more thought.. since i don't see it mentioned yet - for a 75g tank 700-800 GPH flow should be fine. depending on the size of the sump you may be running a bit turbulent if you manage to get it up to the full 1200GPH with a bigger pump.

It is moving.. just slow.. I like a little more control...
Having said that... I and going to build a 60 Inch Stand for the 75.. build removable shelves on each tank side...
This should be enough for all plumbing and extras...
And give me the opportunity to re plumb .. may stop by a LFS and pick up a bigger pump...
I wish i had my LEDs in...

Tank lights on today... Nem is back out and happy... tank looks 100 % better....