pump nightmare help

curt.smith

Premium Member
i have a tank stand with multi tanks it has a head fo 8.5 feet from pump to LOC line and branches into both 15 gallon tanks i am useing the mag 9.5 that came with it i belive that this was a Fresh water setup (copper was not used ) that is drilled and salt water is thicker can any one tell me if a Q one 4000HH will work or should i go with a Q One 6000 I have a total water volume of the tank(S) are 15 gallon sub tanks times 6 +sump =120 gallons going up hill 8.5 feet of head / the pump has to be insump what should i use as i am getting surfice film build up and no gas transfer

thank you

I don't know enough about the Quiet One pumps to answer your question, but here's what you need to know about return pumps:

Return pumps simply move the water back up to the display tank. If the Mag 9.5 has done this, it's fine. It isn't there to move surface water nor provide flow in the display tank. For those 15g aquariums, a Maxijet 1200 in each one will provide some flow affordably. Some prefer Korallia pumps. Aiming one upward at the surface will make it ripple.

This is not an emergency, and I'm moving this thread to the appropriate forum.

i tried a MAXI jet and to much it churned the sand
what about a power sweep at 214GPH it adjusts +/- [attachment=0]power sweep 214 Gal PH.jpg[/attachment]

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4596

thank you for the time i just dont want to buy all then rebuy

I wouldnt get a power sweep..they dont last with all the mechanical movements they have going on. Use a smaller pump korilla 1 or maybe even better a korilla nano if its a small shallow tank( i used two korilla nano's on a 30gal)...mount it high up in water column and dont point it directly at sand. Try bouncing it off the glass or more towards the surface. If your using new sand which is really fine like sugar sized sand ...it may take some time to get settled so it doesnt blow around as much. You just have to play around to get a happy medium. If you were close i would give you my two korilla nano's as i dont have a use for them now. If you ever up this way...and not many people are unless you rode in the Hotter Than Hell 100 bike race...you can have them. Better yet if you think they would work in your system and help you out some, pm me your address and i will send them to you free of charge...mind you there used but work like new.