Protein Skimmer Advice...

I am using the Aqua C Urchin for my 58 gallon in the 29 gallon sump. Since day one I have gotten hardly any results. The production cup is full of extremely white foam that is produced very rapidly and turns into clear water. I was told at the fish store that my pump was pushing too much water through it and I have cut down from a Maxi Jet 1200 down to a Maxi Jet 600 which seemed to help at first and made the collection cup fill up slower but now it is producing those very white foam at a very rapid pace again. Is anyone familiar with this type of skimmer and is there anything I can do. If not what would be a good skimmer for my size tank. This is starting to get very frusterating. Thanks in advance.

The higher it is, the less skimmate it will pull out.

Can you tell us about your livestock (bioload) and how much you feed how often? How often do you do water changes?

If your system is pretty young, there may not be much to skim out.

Ok so the system is about 6 months old it was taken from my old 29 gallon tank. I have about 6-7 various corals with the largest being two favia about the size of canelope and a large colony of green star polyps. I am certain my water quality is not as good as it used to be because in the 29 gallon the star polyps tripled in size in just under three months and in the past 6 months in this tank it is difficult to get them all to open. Bioload is one cleaner shrimp, coral beauty, true percula, and two small damsels. I also have maybe 5-10 hermits and 5-10 snails and one brittle star. This was my first attempt at a reef ready aquarium and it has been a tough battle. I can't keep the water nearly as clear as my two emporer 400's kept the 29 gallon. The rocks and sand are constantly that ugly brown from what I assume is diatoms which also may be in part because a friend of mine added tap water while I was out of town about a month ago. Is the urchin a good quality skimmer? Is there another skimmer that would be easier or better. I am more of a plug and go type guy and really like to spend as little time with maintence and more time with enjoying the tank. 10-15% water changes weekly usually but sometimes I do get lazy and only every 2 weeks but never any longer than that. Top off is water from North Dallas Aquarium and all water change water comes from there too. Please help.

I would use the maxijet 1200, not the 600.
There must be something in the water to cause the skimmer to
go crazy.
Are you putting some additives in the water?

Run some charcoal to clear up water.