Power Failure?

So this is my first dose of bad weather with my reef. With the winter storm coming in a few hours, Im thinking about going to home depot in the morning and buying a new generator just in case. With my litte bit of meteorology experience im really thinking its going to be bad for a few days. Anyone have any suggestions on suppliment power before i spend the 6 to 700 on a generator or is that the only way? I was toyinh with the idea of some golf cart batteries and a power inverter. Any thoughts?

I've been saved by a generator a couple of times. If you can afford it, I say go for it. It is probably less than what it would cost you to restock. I would look on craigslist for one.

@dfwsoundtech wrote:
So this is my first dose of bad weather with my reef. With the winter storm coming in a few hours said:
I would vote generator instead of batteries.

I saw some small generators at tractor supply a while back- probably enough for a pump and a heater for less than $200.

The batteries in my 2 vehicles have wingnut connectors, and I pull one to bring in and with an inverter run several pumps for a long time. When it's low, put it back in and run the engine to charge back up, and bring in the other battery. Both vehicles are manual transmission, and I live on a hill if I have to push start one, or just use jumper cables. I only use one vehicle at a time anyway. This only works if you can be around to monitor things, but a generator has to be filled up regular with gas, too, and is usually very noisy. This got me through one tome when our power was off for about 16 hours. I ran a Seio m1100 in my display, and the battery never went down.

David

Thanks guys... went ahead and bought a small generator at home depot. doesnt look like im gonna need it now but good for other uses as well.

@dfwsoundtech wrote:
Thanks guys... went ahead and bought a small generator at home depot. doesnt look like im gonna need it now but good for other uses as well. said:
You never know when, remember spring is coming and that is when some of the worst storms happen. Just be sure to store it properly.