pistol shrimp ?'s

I have a pistol shrimp with my yasha goby. He was pretty small when I got them. how do I know he is still alive?? is there a way to tell?? i only ever see the goby. i want to make sure i dont need to get my goby another pistol.

You should see the pistol shrimp on occasion. It should leave one antennae on the fish. If the fish flinches, the shrimp quickly retracts because it feels the movement with that antennae.

I have a high fin goby (same family as yasha) and a pistol shrimp in my 6 gallon. The shrimp has dug tunnels under one rock and there are at least 5 openings that I can see, and it covers one and opens another some place else. The goby always rests just at the opening or hovers outside it, but the shrimp only comes out when there's food put in the tank and I see it grab a pellet and it goes right back under the rock. It rarely ventures out, although it may do it very late at night when it's pitch black. I haven't had them very long, maybe 2 months, so I too was worrying about the shrimp when I couldn't see it.