Phytoplankton

Having trouble growing/keeping rotifers. Does anyone have any advice on proper culturing of them? Apparantly I am doing something wrong.

-Andrew

Can you explain your methods in detail, so we can see where the problem lies?

Yes please explain here is what I do and I have had a culture for over a year.

I fill a bottle 3/4 with saltwater and 1/4 with phyto. Every 2 days I empty 1/4 of the bottle and feed to the tank and fill back up with phyto. Every couple weeks use a new bottle as you will get gunk on the bottom.

The biggest deal is to keep phyto in there. They will cyst if you don't. If you miss a couple days you can forget it. Start over again!

I was under the impression that these critters keep thier colony growing, you add the green water, they feed on that and multiply. Therefore providing a constant supply of food for you tank mates.
This could be where part or most of the problem is. I didn't know I had to put more rots in the bottle.

Oopps.

Sorry PHYTO, not rotts. Brain isn't working. I can't seem to keep the culture going, and as I said, it appears to be a couple of problems.
My cultures get hot, I think I cook them.
I don't change thier water, I have seen the gunk at the bottem.
And I don't re-seed the bottles.

Yup, I think that my be my problems right there.
Thanks for your help.

Have you read this page? http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html

Hey Mark, I read that and I see that you switched from micro food, to plant fertilizer why is that ? Is that a safe alternative ? Isnt there a diffrent balance of nurtients in that ?

I switched because I kept crashing the other kind. I've had the same three bottles bubbling now for at least 9 weeks without splitting and they are dark green. Crash-proof.

Yeah I see that it can grow the phyto well, but are there any negative things that could eventually come from it in your tank? I have been debating growing with miracle grow or buying the f2 forumal or whatever, I mean I would rather not have to deal with making a purchase online if possible, soo I would rather just use the miracle gro.

Thanks,