PFO MH Pendant Fried Again

thedocisin

Premium Member
My second 400 watt mogul pendant has shorted out when the wires melted in the hood. Manufacturer is PFO which I understand is now out of business. Question is has anyone else experienced this kind of melting of wire insulation from 400 watt mogul pendants? I can probably just cut out the bad wire segments and reconnect, but I'm worried that I have only avoided a fire by luck. Can I use any other pendant with the PFO ballasts and does anyone have a recommendation? Mark

Did the wires melt from heat from the lamp or too much current for the size of wire ? It is also possable that the wire insulation was stressed from flexing or rubbing on as harp edge and caused a dead short with the end result being a melted area in the wire . I wouldn't chunk the set up yet just investigate to find the root cause and resolve that . But if u do chunk it out send it my way :) I have found that alot of the companys will save 50 cents by not putting a bushing a fixture where the wires go around a sharp reflector .To cheap out like that explains why these companys come and go so fast. If u have any questions just pm me I love fixin broke stuff .

Let's see some pictures of what exactly is going on. It could be the age of the fixtures and the wiring itself is getting brittle. It could be other reasons too.

uh oh... I just bought a PFO dual 400 watt ballast with two PFO pendants. I'll let you know if anything happens to mine