ow do you know if a nem is dead

cabo

Membership Expired
I just bought a blue carpet nem a week ago. When I got it the sg of the water was 1.15 my tank was 1.24. The ph in the shipping water was 7.6 my taank was 8.15. Trying not to shock him i acclimated him for 6 hours. Put him in the tank and he seemed fine. He never looked great but he attacked to a rock and a pair of percs i had got for him began to host within 24hrs. Yesterday..4 days later he was inattached and his oral disk was very protuded and he was compressed...wasn't too worried, but this morning he looks more like he has turned himself inside out. (sorry no pics). He has color still but the clowns are only checking him out now and not hosting.

Is it normal for shipping water to have such a low ph?

THanks for any input...I don't want to pull him from the tank if there is a chance he is still alive..the blue is still quite bright on his outer edge tentecles.

It's not unusual for shipping water to have a lower pH due to CO2 buildup/O2 depletion. It's pretty easy to tell when an anemone has died as they will quickly begin to disintegrate. I would just keep an eye on it and see what happens. Carpet anemone are notoriously difficult to care for.

I agree. Anemones will "mush out" when they die. They begin to completely fall apart. I had a blue carpet once that did not survive the initial move in. If I remember correctly, the color did stay fairly well right up until meltdown.

The clownfish not being in it is probably a good thing during right now. I would not try to feed the carpet yet, it probably will not eat and the food may attract the clowns.

What is your lighting?

No worries...the nem is now in davey's locker...

It was under MH 150w in a 30 gallon frag/qt tank.