Overflow clogged? Need advice

thedocisin

Premium Member
I have two corner overflows with 2" standpipe that elbow over 180 degrees at the surface. One appears to be clogged but I can't seem to snake anything around the bends to clear it. The pipe probably needs to be removed to be cleaned, but I'm unclear how to remove it. Should it just lift straight up off the bulkhead or does the bulkhead need to be removed? Custom tank was installed 8 years ago and installer is long gone. I can only hope that he didn't glue it in. Mark

@thedocisin wrote:
I have two corner overflows with 2" standpipe that elbow over 180 degrees at the surface. One appears to be clogged but I can't seem to snake anything around the bends to clear it. The pipe probably needs to be removed to be cleaned said:
Most bulkheads on the overflows are slip ins or threaded. The best way to do it is with slip-in bulkheads, but some tanks come with threaded so you are stuck. You shouldn't have to remove the bulkhead, though if its a threaded you may need another set of hands underneath with a wrench to hold it while you unscrew it. If its glued, your SOL and will need to remove it. If that is the case, its going to be messy as all the water thats left in the overflow will come pouring out. You'd need to drain it as best you can, then take them apart and reinstall them. If you reinstall, I would recommend a new bulkhead as old ones do dry out and get mashed around over time. Its a good opportunity to install slip ins without any glue if its not currently like that.

Thanks, it was a slip in and I just needed the confidence to pull and wiggle it loose. Never found what was clogging it, but it was either a snail or just calcium and crud. Works great now. Mark