ORP (oxidation-reduction potential or REDOX)

I have a question about this and if there is already a tread I’m sorry for making a new one but I need to get some kind of Controller for my tank like a RKL, APEX or something but anyways is a ORP probe necessary if you don’t run ozone and should I run ozone and how hard is it to do that

You should alway's have some type of controller when running ozone. That said...if you run like a 25mg'hr unit thru a reactor, that is a safe enough level where you won't fry your tank. I ran ozone and UV for years without issues however I have stopped over the last year. Ozone is used to hep break down organic waste, so that the water can "hold" more oxygen and remove any yellowing. I really feel now that with a proper skimmer you can essentially perform the same function but that is just my opinion based on testing so far.

Cheers,

To effectively and safely run ozone it gets pretty expensive quick. You will need a reaction chamber made out of ozone safe parts and then you need a media reactor filled heavily with carbon to remove excess ozone. And of course you need the ozone unit and an air dryer. And as ron said, controller is critical. Adds up!

I have all of this but my orp stays at 420-450 on it's own without running ozone; just skimming and good carbon applied. Maybe as my bio load increases I will get to finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the optimal ozone typical setup. http://www.marinetechnical.com/page9.html I made a similar setup using less expensive part's and it worked so well that I sold my larger 200mg/hr ozonizer and replaced it with a 50mg/hr unit and got the same performance. You can pipe ozone into your skimmer if the skimmer is ozone safe(cast acrylic) and it will work very efficiently but all effluent need's to be ran across carbon just as anytime you are using ozone. Keep in mind that if your skimmer(even if ozone safe)has rubber o-ring's then they can be damaged by ozone contact over time.

Cheers,