Orange Spot Diamond Goby

wrhenry

Premium Member
So after reading posts about sand sifters and such, I decided to add a Diamond Goby, named Bob the Builder, to my tank... I probably should've asked these questions before hand after realizing what he is doing now, but I hadn't thought to ask seeing as I have never had one. He has been digging under my live rock. It's neat to watch, but it's creating two issues. One, I am concerned about falling rocks as he has dug out two ends on one side of my rock. I know it's stable because there is a ton of rubble base and it doesn't move even with force. But I am still concerned because he digs all the way down. He is about 3.5-4" long, and he disappears when he digs to give an idea... I also have an issue with water clarity now. It seems that fine sand is being thrown around my tank and landing on my live rock and corals. I just added him Yesterday, so I am hoping that the sand issue will slow down as he sifts through it and cleans it up. But, how long should I give it? I am concerned about my corals and my rock flower nem because I have some along the base of the rock. Is there any hope that the cloudiness and sand issue will settle in time or am I going to end up regretting adding Bob to the family?? Any help much appreciated.

Okay so update with the goby.... now my powder blue tang is not doing well.... within the last hour, he has moved to the bottom of the tank and has labored breathing.... not sure if the goby shifting is the issue or something else.... any help would be appreciated.

How old is your sand bed? Gobies are known for making a mess of a tank while they dig out their burrows. Mine has dug a cave network throughout my tank and in his main "home" he digs out one side and re-buries it before bed every night.

If your sand bed is old and hasn't been disturbed much then your tank is likely to go through a mini cycle from the decaying matter in your sand bed.

Well nitrates were a huge issue, almost back to normal now. 4 water changes and two doses of natural buffer later.... however, the sifting continues. What I learned is my sand bed qualifies as a DSB and the goby managed to turn everything creating a bacteria and ditritus upswing in the water column resulting in off the charts for nitrates. Lost a powder blue and my female mandarin.... and I was sad, but I am okay at this point. However, another lesson. Learned is that Gerald crabs grown much larger than I thought and quickly. So I witnessed mine grab my regal baby ( about 1.5-2") and kill him. If I hadn't seen it I would've thought the nitrates did it. So, now I am down to inverts, a p.j. cardinal, a mandarin, and Bob the goby. Fortunately, the black clowns are safely swimming in the sump awaiting their 8g nano acclimation.... sad day in the Henry cube.

Sorry to hear about your loss. gobys can make a mess. However, something that leaped out at me in your post and you had better barracade your door as the tang police are on the way. Did you say you had a powder blue tang in a cube? I saw a lot of other live stock mentioned. what size tank do you have?

you also mentioned that you have a predator crab in there? Crabs mulch often (on the full moon?) so they do grow but even then you are feeding them and offering up an expensive dinner. If it were me....I'd get that out of there and research clean-up crews and reef safe crabs.

Its an emerald crab. Had no idea it wasn't reef safe. But I watched him grab my tang as it swam by and start eating. It is going away as well. I only have blue leg, scarlet, one electric blue, and two white leg hermits. Rest are snails. That's my clean up crew. Then I have a coral band shrimp, a skunk cleaner, and a peppermint shrimp. And I have a pink urchin. But the only thing the urchin does is knock a couple of my frags over occasionally. There isn't anything else other than corals and three fish.

@wrhenry wrote:
Its an emerald crab. Had no idea it wasn't reef safe. But I watched him grab my tang as it swam by and start eating. It is going away as well. I only have blue leg said:
you sure it's an emerald? they are not predatory, and are relatively reef save. I've seen HUGE ones and they only eat algae and detritus. If he snagged a fish, I'd get him out regardless. If you plan on keeping tangs and they are great fish, but you need at least a 4 foot tank for them to have swimming room and growing room.

I have a 125g. The tang was 3-3.5", it was going in the large tank. The cube was temporary. Sorry misuse the last post. I had a small 2" regal and a pair of mandarins, a PJ cardinal, the goby, and powder blue tang. With the sand flip, I lost the female mandarin and the powder tang. The emerald crab got the regal, so now its a PJ, male mandarin, and the goby. Then my clean up guys, 3 shrimp, urchin, and emerald crab. Then I have a rock nem, button polyp colony, orange duster polyp colony, kryptonite candy cane, yellow chloral polyp colony and a frag, candy apple ZOA frag, torch, huge 6 head frogspawn, and some Kenya trees. That's everything in the cube. All except for the emerald and possibly the goby will be transitioning to the 125. I got the tangs because they were good specimens and I want them on my large tank. I had planned on just letting them hang out until the 125 was ready for them. But now I will just wait to replace them once the tank is ready. They should have been fine for a few weeks. I had no idea the goby would cause the issue he did and I thought the emerald crab was fine in a reef. I will definitely rethink what inverts go into my large tank. The plan for the cube is a dwarf lion, red knobby star and a purple reef lobster. Now the emerald will stay and possibly the goby. I am still not sure about the coral band shrimp either. He took nips at fish before, so I may just leave him or move him to my clown's nano. I read a lot before getting what I have but I never saw anything other than the goby making messes around the base rock. I didn't see or know to look for issues with them flipping sand and causing nitrate spikes or with emerald crabs deciding to eat fish. Since all of this happened, I have found other reef keepers having sand everywhere with the sand sifting gobies and issues with emeralds getting a taste for fish. The emerald went from about the size of a 50cent piece to about 3" across in a matter of 5 months. So, he has been well fed. My tank inhabitants had been happy until the addition of the goby. I never saw any issues out of the emerald until the tang incident. Expensive lessons and definitely disheartening. I am not giving up, just going to do a lot more research before I add anything to either tank. I need to seriously consider what I would rather have. And I love inverts, but the fish are more important. As for the goby, I wanted something to clean sand and I thought he was a good idea. He might be fine in the larger tank, I may try him in there and if he doesn't work out, put him back in the cube or post him for another member to try. As for now, no further purchases until my large tank is ready for fish. I will post my want list and get advice before adding anything going forward. Obviously everyone has preferences and not all creatures behave the same so with anything we add, we are taking a chance. But I did these guys a disservice by not researching as thoroughly as I should have apparently. Any further advice or experience is always much appreciated. I consider myself new to the hobby still, my cube was my first tank and I have only had it a year. So I know I have a lot of learning and research ahead. Thanks for the comments and help!! I am so greatful for dfwmas, I wish I had joined much earlier. Thanks guys!!!

Yes its an emerald, normally eats algae. Seen him picking around my corals and such, but he will. But I had him take shrimp from my hand after the tang incident, so he is nondiscriminatory. I read they are omnivores, so I guess he eats what he wants. He is green with a cream colored fuzz on his legs. Great looking crab, but he grabs the net if it gets close and eats shrimp pieces I feed the rock nem. I usually only put cyclopeeze and some mysis in for everything and I feed the new a small piece of shrimp. Now that the clowns ( they were mean and decided they owned the tank) are in a nano, I give them spirulina flakes and mysis every other feeding.

And about the tangs- the 125 is 51"L X 22"D X 24" Tall. Should be enough for them to be happy. My plan was a powder blue, regal/ hippo and a Hawaiian naso as far as tangs go.

@wrhenry wrote:
And about the tangs- the 125 is 51"L X 22"D X 24" Tall. Should be enough for them to be happy. My plan was a powder blue said:
ugh, so sorry, I thought you had a cube :) that's a good size as long as the tangs aren't really big. I like the powder blues but can't have one with my purple, the regals are crazy fish and fun to watch and I have a naso that I really enjoy, it's a pig! Good luck!

@wrhenry wrote:
Yes its an emerald said:
if you have a "meat" eating crab, again, I'd immediately remove it. Most emeralds are safe, there are emeralds that have a taste for meat. As I said earlier, they grow BIG (I've seen one 4 or 5 inches) so no sense in taking a risk....

Yeah, its going to have to go... he is really pretty, but not worth the risk. I do have a cube, but I just upgraded to a 125g. Its going to be my reef tank. The cube will only house a small amount of fish. Just really want a dwarf lion and he can't go with the reef tank so I plan to run the cube as a predator tank. Thanks for the help though!!

Yeah, its going to have to go... he is really pretty, but not worth the risk. I do have a cube, but I just upgraded to a 125g. Its going to be my reef tank. The cube will only house a small amount of fish. Just really want a dwarf lion and he can't go with the reef tank so I plan to run the cube as a predator tank. Thanks for the help though!!

Well update on Bob the Goby- he is doing great now. All perameters have levels out and my tank is almost clear again. Apparently he will be moving up to the 125. Now I am glad I got him. It was a rough ride, and I should've got him long before I got anything else in my tank. So as I start to transition fish into the 125, I am starting with a couple chromis and the after I am sure all is well, Bob will go first and then I will move others in. Still thinking on the emerald crab. I would like to have one, but I think this one will have to go to someone's established predator tank. He is just too aggressive to take a chance on. Of anyone wants him, he is Free to good home. Or if you want to trade something else, that would be appreciated as well.

not sure they are on-line tonight but an interesting post

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-invert-forum/116998-murderous-emerald-crab.html http://ow.ly/i/21yYz

@wrhenry wrote:
Well update on Bob the Goby- he is doing great now. All perameters have levels out and my tank is almost clear again. Apparently he will be moving up to the 125. Now I am glad I got him. It was a rough ride said:
Glad to hear that Bob is doing well, I too brought one home on Wednesday and experienced the same effect. Tunnels, cloudy water, and he turned the sand so well that looks like he took a break today and stayed hidden in his home. I just hope mine is still alive and won't stir up the sand again, lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2