Open Loop & Closed Loop?

Quick totally n00b question. I plan to have my water flow go tank->sump->skimmer->fuge->back to tank with return pump.

Well now I'm going to add in a canister filter and a UV sterilizer. Do I need to somehow run another closed loop with the canister filter pumping water through the sterilizer and back into the tank? Is there another way I can arrange things so they all are incorporated?

Plumbing isn't my forte. :oops:

Im sure you can add the canister filter to withdraw water from the sump and have it dump back into the return section without having to add a closed loop to the main display.

Im sure someone with more expertise can chime in :D

Well. .what about the UV sterilizer?

Have water pull from the return go through canister filter through UV then dump into the return? Gee I wonder if that will work.

I need a bigger cabinet.

I Dont see a reason why that wouldn't work. Check to make sure the pressure from the canister is appropriate for the UV. Dumping it straight into the return section should not be a problem

Um. .the flow rate of the UV is 200-400gph the flow rate of the canister is like 350gph or so. Okay, phew. I guess I'll just have a ton of plumbing going in all sorts of funny directions.

Now from what area should I have the canister pull the water from in my sump? Skimmer section, refuge section, or the return section and dump back into the return section.

Since it is a canister filter, you can have it withdrawl water from the skimmer section and have it dump either in the return or the refuge section. If you've got a good amount of flow going into the refuge already, I would suggest that you have it dump into the return. That way your not disturbing the entire purpose of a refuge area.