Oceanic 150 Lighting w/ standard canopy

I am looking for a little help to determine what type of lighting setup that I should consider with this tank. I want to eventually get into corals, but want something that makes "dollars and sense".

Please help...

Thanks!

Ryan, the type of lighting you want will depend on the type of corals you want (softies or stony), but I would strongly suggest you start slow.

Softies are easier to keep (IMO) so if you are interested in corals, I would start there. If that's the route you take then you can get by with VHO or T5s. Going this route is cheaper but if you transition to SPS you'll need to strongly consider metal halide lighting.

Its a tough choice.... you can start with VHO or T-5 (preference) between those two or go full on and cover all bases. If you go the first route, you'll be spending a nice hunk of change up front no matter what. 300-400 for a decent start, though you can find deals in the sale forum used. If you go with the full setup up front, the lighting can run anywhere from 400 well over a grand.

Consider the first decision.. are going to go with a fixture under the canopy or built the lights into the canopy. Building it in will allow you some room to grow by adding more bulbs or different types, but takes some basic wiring and basic handiness with tools.

What I normally recommend for an in canopy is start with a 4 bulb T-5 setup and add-on later if you go to SPS etc.

You can start with a pre-wired full kit for about $450, assuming your tank is 4ft long..... this should allow you to keep just about everything other than the most light intensive SPS. This will include clams, low to moderate light SPS, LPS and softies.

http://tinyurl.com/5v3hvc

You can easily add to that setup later by adding a set of 2 or even 4 more bulbs just by unscrewing it and rearranging it under the canopy.

It's 6 foot. So can I get away with the 60 inch setup?

There are a few retrofit kits that are 60 inches.
What the difference in the prewired and the other retrofit kits listed here?
I am missing something?

BTW, thanks for this info. It really helps.