NYOS Quantum Skimmer

steelcaveman

Premium Member
I typically purchase the majority of my fish supplies from local fish stores.
Since I had an Amazon gift card I decided to get a new skimmer.
After too much reading I decided to purchase the NYOS Quantum 120 skimmer.
It is rated for tanks up to 130 gallons. My reef tank is 90 gallons.
I liked the thought of a nearly silent skimmer.
Other features that are nice: easy to remove base and easy disassembly for cleaning.
When the skimmer arrived I was surprised by the skimmers size - it is small - about 15" tall.
I clearly did not take the time to convert cm to inches and ruler it out.
What I did not notice until until afterI had opened the box were the features lacking between the 120 & 160 models.
Model 120 does not have a cup drain or the clear view reaction camber. The cup drain I would consider standard equipment on a $399 skimmer, the clear view reaction chamber helps to justify paying $399 for a skimmer.
Assembly of the skimmer in not as smooth as in the video - as the power cord is quite thick and does not line up with hole in the base wire hole.
The collection cup does require two firm grip hands to get it on, but no big deal.
Overall craftsmanship of the skimmer is much higher than most other skimmers I have used over the years.
Into the sump it goes. This skimmer replaced a Reef Octopus INT-2000I. The primary reason for changing skimmers was noise. The Reef Octopus did an awesome job of removing stuff once the water height in the skimmer is properly adjusted.
Once in the sump the NYOS 120 reminded me of my first Sea Clone skimmer - as it was tiny.
I plugged in the skimmer and it is definitely quieter than the Reef Octopus - but it should be as it is less than half the size.
To call the skimmer nearly silent is questionable. The skimmer is the loudest piece of equipment on the tank - Vortech mp40qd, Tunze return.
You can probably see where things are heading - buyer remorse.
I contacted the Amazon marketplace seller - TB Aquatics to upgrade to the 160 model.
Here is their return policy, which requires some time to find after reading screens highlighting Amazons return policy - Your satisfaction is guaranteed. We offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on dry goods. If for any reason your are not completely satisfied, just call us, request an RMA # and send us back the new unopened product for a full refund (excluding shipping costs).
TB Aquatics has the system down to an art - they offered to accept a return despite their return policy to not accept any open boxes and apply a 50% restocking fee plus I would have to pay all shipping. They also suggested that I sell the skimmer on eBay or Craigslist. This allows them to get around the Amazon A-Z guaranty. Basically, I thought that I was buying from Amazon - which would have gladly allowed me to upgrade.
I contacted NYOS - their response in a nutshell, not our problem.
That's what I get for not ordering a skimmer from a good local fish store that carries products from companies that are interested in the needs of their customers and the pets we keep. The skimmer has been running for just over three days. It does not meet the needs of my 90 gallon reef. If I had a 50 gallon tank, this skimmer would be great.
I will post pics once the check I sent to DFWMAS clears and my account is re-activated. It is a pretty piece of equipment.

Was there anything you found in your research saying the quiet down when they "Break in"? I know a lot of the Circulation pumps quiet down when they breakin

Sorry for your issues. I was looking into one of these Skimmers as well. Now, I'm probably going to continue looking elsewhere. Thanks for the review. Some companies do not value their customer service. They spend all their money on research and development that they forget what keeps them in business. My best customer service is always with Ecotech Marine. I've called 2-3 times in the last 3-4 years and I'd say they're the best. My worst experience is with Neptune Apex. They were very rude and couldn't care less since they got your money already. You have better luck reading the forums. Well thanks for the heads up. In this industry, I value the customer service above all. And those are the ones I put my money into.

I agree that Eco Tech has the best customer service. That is the primary reason why I bought the new MP40QD. Plus it appears that the new QD pump is much better than the original.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I thought they looked quite beautiful, but operation is more important that looks in the end.

Not being able to return it because it has been opened - that's pretty shady. If you have a 30-day guarantee, you'd think that would allow you to test it out and if unhappy return it.

What size tank is it rated for?