Not impressed by local fish store coral selection or prices

justinhowley

Membership Expired
So I’ve been thinking about our selection of local fish stores lately. While most are knowledgable and generally nice folks (at least the ones I’ve met so far) I’ve never been impressed with the coral selection and further unimpressed with their prices. Coming from NYC, which isn’t known for our natural reefs lol or cheap commercial real estate, there were maybe 2 decent stores that had an amazing selection with affordable prices which were negotiable.  Now, I know the limitations of delivery etc, and how things drive up cost but to have a coral store like Manhattan Reefs, in Manhattan where price per sq foot is INSANE, with equally insane utility prices, I can’t understand how the Dallas coral market is so lackluster. I’ve bought some really nice pieces from local reefers on the board who have amazing tanks. I do however like to just browse and check out things that come in shipments to scout out a new prized piece for my tank. But in the 5 years I’ve lived in the DFW area, I have yet to be wowed.  I was thinking how cool it would be to run a really small shop of high end corals. There’s certainly demand for it (I think from what I’ve seen).  Thoughts? Am I missing the golden egg of saltwater stores in DFW??? Please show me the way!!!

I have seen some nice pieces at Saltwater Paradise.I think Fish2morrow has a separate tank for higher-end pieces and colonies also.

how bout just some nice pieces that are not high end and are just plain good for the beginner to mid aquarist. Im sure they would appreciate it....yes I know we have frag swaps...but, they always seem to happen when the DFW area has at least 14 other events on at the same time.

@Chris, I've checked out Saltwater Paradise. Agree, the last time I went there the selection was cool. I'm actually going to Ocean Avenue today to check them out. By all means, I'm not knocking any LFS, it would just be cool if there was more than the regular shipment of standard corals I see at every shop. 

I know right, it sounds like the new ELOS shop will have some nice corals from what they are planning.http://www.dfwmas.org/community/elos-aquastudios/elos-will-be-moving-to-the-colony/ 

I think part of the problem is to have the high end corals you would need to be farming them yourself other than maybe ORA stuff.  I believe most of the named stuff you will see at Oceans Avenue is stuff they have grown out and fragged.Front Line Pro Aquatics in Richardson has a lot of nice stuff.   He used to sell out of his house but now he has a store front.   Weird hours though since he is gone a lot doing tank maintenance.  A lot of his stuff are frags he has picked up at frag swaps and grown out.  I'm not sure about Fish2morrow anymore.  That used to be the go to place for SPS but I doubt the new owners have the expertice that the previous guy did.   Even Jason Fox sold some of his SPS.  True Percula was amazing when it first opened but after about a year or so they went downhill quick.