Newbie wanting to start a nano

OK, I'm still doing research on what all I want to keep in saltwater tank (this will be my first saltwater tank), but these are setups that I'm looking at:

1) 24-gallon AquaPod
2) 24-gallon Nano Cube
3) 20-gallon M-Tank (http://www.northcoastmarines.com/quarantn.htm)
4) 29-gallon Oceanic Bio-Cube
5) 20- to 29-gallon setup I assemble myself

I'd appreciate hearing advice or regrets (such as, "I would never by tank brand X again because...").

This is livestock that I'm interested in:

Green star polyps
Kenya tree
White pom pom xenia
bullseye mushroom
firefish or clown goby
shrimp, hermits, etc.

Like I said, I'm still doing research, so let me know if my livestock is incompatible, or any other suggestions you have for me. Thanks!

Yeah, I've heard about the cracking problems with the NanoCubes and I wondered if people have had similar problems with the AquaPod and Bio-Cube, since the design is similar.

I'm kinda leaning towards just putting something together myself from an AGA tank, Current PC fixture, etc.

Or maybe I'll find a good deal on a complete system from someone who's getting out of the hobby.

I had the 24 gal for about a year. It was doing great and I came home one day and there was water all over the place. I had pergo floors so they were all warped and had to be ripped out. The crack was on the curve part of the glass. Basically I didnt do anything nor did a rock hit the glass, it just cracked...darn the luck. :x

I have just bought a 30g oceanic cube and had Doss at http://www.acrylicsumps.com/ build me a false wall for $100. It works like a champ and I was able to put a little refrugium in the back.

I also bought a 150HQI Sunpod for lighting...the tank is in the middle of cycling now.

The new bio cubes look pretty cool...but I wanted to do a few custom things. In the long run I may be a little less but mot much than an all in one tank...it really depends what you want to keep in the tank.

Id stay away from the JBJs. I like my Aquapod a lot. If you want to do a all in one tank, and don't mind doing a few mods your self, I would say the Aquapod is the way to go. You can pick them up for $170, and all you have to add is replace the stock pump, and add another pump, add another fan, drill the back for the second return and you'll have a sweet set up. Pluss the stock lights should be enough to keep everything you listed.

I do wish I had gone with the 30gal cube now though. The false walls are cool, and you can drill the back for a sump and for a closed loop. Hang a 250watt HQI over it, and you would have it made.

I do wish I had gone with the 30gal cube now though. The false walls are cool said:
Do you mean the Oceanic Bio-Cube or something else?

Right now, I'm leaning toward either a totally from scratch set-up or the 20-gallon glass Finnex M-Tank. (http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotuners/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=308)

Here's why I like the M-Tank vs. Aquapod or JBJ (tell me if I'm wrong):

1) Open top should reduce heat (probably will need more topping off, but that's cheaper than buying a chiller)

2) frameless design (I just like that look better)

3) Protein skimmer is included (though I don't know how good it is--but I definitely have only heard bad things about the Current Nano Skimmer)

4) Because the top back is open also, should be easy to convert the wet/dry area into a refugium, if I want to.

5) It's $199, which isn't significantly more than the Aquapod

They also have an acrylic version, a metal halide option, and an acrylic version that already has a refugium space with a separate power compact.

Unless there's just something I don't know, I'm not sure why more nano reefers don't get this system.

I was looking at these but decided against it at the time because I wanted all glass. It looks like a good tank, dont know why a lot of peole dont have them...it seems that the rage is the Aquapod or the Bio Cube

M-tanks are pretty sweet. I know a few people who have them and they love them.

Most people buy JBJ and Aquapods because of the all in one look and the idea of having an all in one tank. You just plug it in, add water, sand, live rock and you're ready to go. Plus they are available at almost LFS. I love my aquapod but it definitely took some work to get it were it is today, and it was exactly what I was wanted for my bedroom. All in one, dosn't leak light, and a good size to fit on my night stand.

I think you will be more than happy with the M-tank. You should get it.

i got the 24g JBJ nanohad heard good things about it and the '06 model they beefed up the glass to fix the cracking problem.

love mine its one i recommend

OK, I'm currently leaning towards a from-scratch setup (and I'm supposed to look at a 29-gallon tank next week that someone's selling in the forums).

Anyhow, I started thinking about what I could do (from scratch) with the $250 I'd spend on the M-Tank and I think I could get quite a bit of nice, used equipment on the forums here and from craigslist.

What are y'all's recommendations in terms of HOB filtration and protein skimming? I don't want to launch into drilling a tank and messing with a sump at this point--for a FOWLR or soft corals tank, would it be acceptable to use a protein skimmer (something like a CPR Bakpak) and and a HOB fuge? Or is that totally not be enough?

Ive got a 20 long tank with a stand but it would need a protien skimmer and some lights for $ 40 . Nice stand I might add.