New to Saltwater Tanks

mediccby

Premium Member
Hello ya'll I just wated to introduce my self.

I am Scott and am new to the saltwater world. I will be getting my tank Friday and the journey will begin then.
I go a great deal off of craigs list so I thought its time to start my first saltwater tank. I have had a little 10g Fresh water for about a year now. I will try to keep ya'll posted on progress of my tank. This is what I am to pick up on Friday 9/9/11.

List of stuff to be Picked up:
55 gallon aquarium that has a drilled in overflow filter in it
140lbs of live sand
heater
power heads
sump filter
lights

alt="">

alt="">

alt="">

Any Suggestions to what other equipment and or Fish/Corals I should stalk the tank with would be greatly appreciated.

What sand is that?

Suggestion - get some live rock and look around for what fish or corals interest you and then you can find out about their individual needs.

If you don't get any test kits with it, I would suggest picking-up some of those along with a refractometer. If you plan on doing maintenance yourself, you probably want to get some equipment for doing water changes and the right type of salt for what you decide to keep in the tank. If you plan to keep the wet/dry sump filter you will probably need some filter floss (you can get it in bulk for cheaper) so that you can change that out as needed. I would also make sure you have some airline tubing for doing drip acclimation when you add livestock.

What kind of lighting did it come with? If you want to keep corals, a lot of them depend on really good lighting.