New Tangs Stressed and Beaten Up - What can I do?

masharp1126

Membership Expired
Need some advice.

Picked up a couple of 6" tangs from a guy out near Tyler today. They both looked great and were very healthy. However, while I was on the way out there, he caught them by himself. He told me he was going to take all the rock out in order to catch them, but that didn't happen. Needless to say, they are extremely stressed and beaten up pretty badly by the rocks as they were trying to get away from him.

What can I do, or add to the water to try and help them fully recover and not develop some type of infection or scaring? Should I add stress coat to the water? Any other medicine's do any good at this point?

They are currently being adjusted to my qt tank.

I would use a stress coat and feed pe pmysis shrimp with Garlic guard and Selcon additives and a good amount of all diffrent NORI BROWN and RED work well for immune systems house in a quarantine tank so you can leave the lights out for a few days so they will calm down also be ready for things like ICK, lateral line and head rot , depending on what type of tangs they are , also keep temp as close to 77 as possible you are trying to make the fish as comfortable as possible for the next week and build their immune systems up if they are cut and nicked you don't want infection and they will be a bit aggressive at first give it time to start working and all should be well ... Just my humble opinion , I hope this helps -curt-
I have a 300 full of tangs

I would make sure you have pristine water conditions and nice hiding places to help them de-stress. Feed well and you really should not have an issue is they were all healthy before, fish can recover pretty quickly from this without a lot from us at least imo.

Cheers,

Thanks everyone for the responses. After acclimating to my qt (40breeder) yesterday, I left them alone with lights out in the room for the rest of the day. I have a large, 4" to 5", PVC piece in there for hiding as well as 4 or 5 pieces of live rock. They were both hiding in PVC when I went to bed last night.

I'll try to get some pics when I get home this afternoon.

Temp is about 77.5. I've got some frozen mysis and both kinds of nori, so I'll pick up some selcon and garlic guard and start adding some to their food, and see how they are doing this afternoon.

@Matt wrote:
I sent you a PM Mark. [smilie=wink.gif] said:
Thanks Matt, I'm placing an order for the Focus and NeoPlex today. Even if these recover quickly, with no infection, I need to keep some medication on hand for these types of situations.

@bimmerzs wrote:
I would make sure you have pristine water conditions and nice hiding places to help them de-stress. Feed well and you really should not have an issue is they were all healthy before said:
This is what I'm hoping for. Not only a quick recovery, but no scarring.

BTW, here are some pics from the guy I got them from. Before the capture.

Maculiceps Tang
Maculiceps.jpg
alt="">

Fowleri Tang
Fowleri.jpg
alt="">

and both together.
MaculicepsFowleri.jpg
alt="">

Right now they are doing good. Eating nori and formula 2 flake like mad. Spots look a lot better, I can barely see them now. Doesn't look like there's any infection. I have ordered some Seachem Neoflex for just in case. If I don't need it now, I might later.

This weekend I plan to work on my qt setup a little more and should have some low level lights installed. At that point I'll take some pics and post them.

Excellent...ain't nature grand. [smilie=lol.gif] The maculecip's is my favorite tang for sure, just gotta have a big tank for those guy's. [smilie=smile.gif]

Cheers,