New Sump / Fuge config.

sublime-1

Membership Expired
Hey guys.

I picked up the following and going to use it for my 120g. I know TS doesn't build them this way anymore, and I recall a reason, but it escapes me now.

I'm probably going to use a Mag-12 or Quiet 1 5000 for my return, and may just use it in-sump to keep it cool, and since I don't run a heater, to keep the sump "warm'ish"...

This 'fuge design leaves alot to be desired, as the only reasonable place to put a decent sized skimmer is within the fuge compartment itself. (there's a drip tray drilled with holes, that sits below those pvc diffusers)

Could I get some of you Ninja reef-keepers to school me on the best way to setup this Fuge / Sump ? I may not grow Macro down in here, but would like the option of tossing some rubble and sand down here in the event I ever need to QT some hair algae or something.

fuge-2012-2.jpg
alt="">
fuge-2012-4.jpg
alt="">

A mag 12 is overkill for a 120. You got plenty of room to have a nice fuge in the first section. Skimer in the next and your return past the bubble trap

yah i agree on the 12, I had dual returns and an external skimmer before so ran a 12.

The original 9.5 in fact was borderline chaos.

This fuge looks like it was originally setup with the fuge-section in the middle, I could put in in the left, but it's already plumbed for return there, so I'll need to cap that (no biggie)
(strange since it's also plumbed for the drains, makes no sense at all....[smilie=shake.gif] )

I'll probably do exactly like you suggest, cut a hole in the red acrylic for a light, use the left side for a fuge, the center for my Skimmer, and plumb the right for an external pump, or perhaps just leave it internal. I just always preferred "fixed plumbed" instead of hoses, so I am leaning now toward doing like before, and plumbing in a Mag at a 90-degree angle.

I like the lightweight aspects of this TS sump, but I've never used one so we'll just have to see how it goes. It doesn't seem very sturdy. I like my old All-Glass, modified sump.

You could also cut the red out and put the skimmer there. Some think the skimmer kills more life and it does but your return is going to chew up 90% of it anyway. The further you get the skimmer away from the return the more micro bubbles you will catch, cause you don't have a true bubble trap (weir)