New Split!

Looks like our massive (16"+) GBTA that we got from Gigi and Jerry is splitting.. into 3 separate anemones! Looks like you cut a slice of pie out of it, then took the other bit and split it in two. It's been a bit wilty today, now I know why.. saving up it's energy!!

Here's the rightmost one, you can see the rock between it and the main body..
right_third.jpg
alt="">

And here's the other two still stretching out..
left_two.jpg
alt="">

Well, this morning, it looks like it only split in two.. bad news is the split piece is almost behind the rockwork.

Arrgh, going to have to do a major tear down to get it out into the light.

I noticed yesterday that before the split, it was a bit 'wilted' and rather oval shaped. The mouth looked normal, though, so I didn't even consider an imminent split.

@Matt wrote:
This is one of the perils of owning anemones. The clone and/or mother are almost guaranteed to begin moving in the tank once a split occurs. said:
Yup! Luckily the rock that our RBTA was on had two perfect 'pockets' for them to split into. That's why I haven't put the clone up for sale.. it settled right next to it's parent / clone. I firmly believe that anemones should be sold with the rock to which they're attached.

I figure I'll give it 24 hours, and if the gbta clone hasn't moved around into the light better, I'll re-aquascape and rotate the rock that its is on.

The bad thing about having to move that rock.. I know I'm going to end up feeding the tomato clown.. with bits of my own flesh and blood. LOL

Ah, know THAT feeling... That's why I finally had to give up my mated Clarkii pair that I'd had for 7+ years... :(

My one remaining GBTA clone wandered behind the rock work about 3 months ago, and I'd written her off. About a month ago she wandered back out into the light, very small but very much alive. She's of course taken up residence right next to two of my favorite SPS and are slowly killing them, I need to get her outta there and to a new home, just after keeping that same creature for over 5 years, it's hard to let go...

Good luck!

Someone needs to make some +5 Defense against Clown Attack rubber gloves!

@Serk wrote:
I wouldn't mind a clarkii.. compared to a 7" long tomato clown. She takes dime sized divots out of my hands when she gets REALLY mad. She'll bite down and HANG ON and SHAKE :) Normally she just bonks me with her head.

Ouch... My 5"+ Clarkii female was more than enough for me! She's do the same, almost shark like manuever. Latch onto the flesh, and start shaking her head violently...

She learned it didn't bother me on my fingers, so she started going for the sensitive web of flesh between my fingers...

It was when she took a chunk out of my forearm that I decided she had to go...

(Well, that and when she started fragging my SPS for me, out of spite. I know most non-fish people think I'm crazy, but I swear she'd do that just to make me mad...)

@Serk wrote:
It was when she took a chunk out of my forearm that I decided she had to go... (Well said:
Lol, yah, she'll come AROUND my arm to get to the softer skin on my inner forearm. If I absolutely stop moving, she'll drift up to within 1/2" and just sit there hovering. I can hear her little fish brain going "Go ahead, punk. I dare ya!"

Well, I decided not to wait 24 hours, and moved the rock that both anemones were attached to.. and OW!!

Lisa was laughing her head off as I repeatedly got chewed up. Mrs. tomato got the big fleshy part at the base of my thumb a few times, the web between my fingers once, the back of my hand uncounted times, and the inside of my forearm once so good that it looks like I had a smallpox vaccination.

The new clone was kind of wilted in the shade, but boy does he appreciate the light.. almost looks bubble tipped again.