New Set Up

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and to the salt water game. I'm hunting down a 75-gallon RR tank as we speak, so hope to be up and cycling within the next few weeks. The setup I'm getting is a stand, tank and canopy, but will be accessorizing it on my own. I've done a lot of research, but still always interested in opinions of others and personal experiences. I'm a bargain hunter, and willing to look around in forums, Craigslist, eBay, etc. to find the right deals on my equipment. I want to set it up right, without going overboard or not having enough at the same time.

If you could do a new build on a 75-gallon RR tank, what would you have in it, realistically?? I know there will be extremes, but what equipment would be perfect for a standard 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 3/8 tank? I enjoy hearing opinions and experiences, so please feel free to express your thoughts/opinions.

I definitely plan to log my build in the forum, so I'll keep everyone updated as the build progresses. There are a ton of beautiful tanks on here and I hope to have one to contribute some day as well!!

I found my new setup today and should be picking it up within the next few days. 90-gallon stand/canopy, wet/dry filter and skimmer, chiller/heater, 65lbs of live rock (will be adding more), few other small odd's and ends.

My main question is running the wet/dry vs. the skimmer in a sump/refugium. I think I want to go the second route, but may go ahead and set the system up as is. How difficult will it be to switch it over?

Any help/opinions are appreciated!!!

photo1.jpg
alt="">

photo2.jpg
alt="">

photo4.jpg
alt="">

I would either convert the wet/dry to a sump/fuge or find/build a sump/fuge before setting up. Switching them out is not that difficult but I would do it before finishing the cycle and adding livestock. I would also suggest getting a much better skimmer for the tank.

Cheers,

When you say convert the existing sump, how would I achieve that. I have read plenty of DIY sump threads, but if I can do it with what I have and just purchase an upgraded skimmer, that would obviously be the most economical way to go about this if its possible. Open to suggestions....

Well, I guess this is what I get for counting my eggs before they hatch. The seller seems to have backed out on me for this tank. No word in 3-days after we agreed that I would buy it and pick it up ASAP. This was a really nice setup, so I'm a bit disappointed. I can't think of a time where a seller backed out on a product they had listed for sale and a deal had been agreed upon, but guess there is a first time for everything for me. Maybe I've just been lucky. Who knows. Back to the drawing board...

[smilie=swear.gif]