New RO Filter problems

Hi All
Well I have been slacking, But I have been trying to make up for it now. My tank has been ignored and it shows. I had to replace the T-5 lights they were 14 months old, cleaned out the sump and did a water change on a wild hair I checked the RO water and instead of the 4-6 it used to run it was at 60! Put in a order to BRS for new filter and a new membrane. The membrane was at least 6 years old. Well I finally sat down and swapped all the filters out, every thing seamed to go back together ok. but 5 hours later and the water coming out show 50 on two different meters. SO did I miss something or does it take longer to brake in than I remember? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks Joe

The first 5g of water coming out of the membrane should be thrown out. Don't even feed it into your DI resin, as you are simply wasting the ions.

When you measure, how do you take the measurements specifically?

Hi Mark
I check it the same way I always have I let the water run for a couple of minutes and then catch some in a clean glass and put my meter in it.
I also bought an in line meter and it has the same number as the pen checker. On a side note I have let it run while I went out to dinner and it is down to 28 now so maybe it will just take longer than I remember. I should have got them from you but honestly I forgot you sold them.
Joe

That pesky banner needs to updated under my posts with something obvious like "I SELL STUFF TOO" :D

Hi well iI called BRS and they told me that around 20ish was a pretty typical number, and that if I need it lower I should get a di unit, Well after about a week it is down to 15 so mabey it just needs so time to get rid of the old stuff and get broke in.
Thanks for the help Marc
Joe

Depending on the rejection rate of the membrane, you should see 92 to 98% rejection rate. Take .92 x 280 = 23 or take .98 x 280 = 6 prior to the DI section.

So 20 is okay, but of course the lower the TDS, the longer the DI resin lasts.

HTH