New LR..should I QT???

LSBBA

Premium Member
I have some live rock that I am getting from a LFS and dfwmas memebers. How should I QT and treat them to make sure I dont add things that should not be in my tank. Or should I just start with dry rock?
I know there is a frag swap coming up so I am very interested on what I should do when I get these new corals home. I have a 17g rimless that I am wanting to setup as a QT. What do I need in your opinion to have it setup and ready? I figured a light/filter/skimmer?/powerhead. Is that it? I know it is a lot of question but I am wanting to do this correctly.I saw the hypo treatment for fish but what is the treatment for corals and rock work?

I would place the rock in a tub with saltwater and a circulation pump for about 30 days before adding it to a tank with fish. You don't need a heater this time of year. As for corals the recommended treatment is to dip in Lugals(iodine) and then place in a separate QT tank for 30 days also. Also visually check the coral for parasites(red bugs, eggs). There are other treatments that you can use depending on what if anything you may find.

Should I drop the salinity on the tub of rocks and use the hypo method for existing rock work I am going to transfer to another tank? After I dip the corals in the Lugals solution do I need to then dip them into saltwater and then place in a QT? I am also wanting tangs but what should I do about a qt for the guys? Should I just buy them small enough were they can be QT in the 17g for the 4 week period and then placed in the 150g?

Do not hypo the rock. You can use a lower ppm of saltwater(1.020) but not hypo at 1.090. You do not dip the corals directly in the iodine. I usually take about a pint of tank water and put in about 5-6 drops of iodine and let the frags stay in for about 15-20 minutes, then take them out and dip in a cup of tank water and then into the QT tank. I would purchase the smaller tanks and QT them for about 3 - 4 weeks(treat them with prazipro for internal parasites). If they do not show any sign of infection I put them into the display tank.