New Lighting Suggestions

311Sean

Premium Member
All, just set up a new 150g with dimensions of 48x24x30. I wanted to get some personal feedback from others with a variety of light fixtures. My current tank has 4 bulb T5 with a LED light strip mounted to back. I've been getting awesome growth on zoa/paly, LPS, etc. My new tank will be mostly high-end zoa/paly, acan, plates, frogspawn/hammer/torch, rics with some easy to moderate SPS up higher. I'll have a 27" drop from lighting if sitting on canopy rails to 5" sand bed. I was thinking T5 again since I'm getting such good growth in other tank. However, I have also looked at reefbreeders photon 48 and a BML fixture. With my dimensions and coral what would you all suggest? Thanks

I have had great success always using T5s. I have a 90g corner tank that is 36" deep + 10" light above that. So my ATI Powermodule penetrates 46" pretty well.

If money isn't an option then I would go to the ATI LED Powermodule in a heartbeat. I'd still be able to get my T5s, but then I would also have the LEDs I want too. I myself would be afraid my current setup would not like the overall switch to LEDs so I probably won't do it. If I had a new tank then I think I'd still use the ATI hybrid just because I've had great success with my T5s. There are other members on here that have success with switching to LEDs. Hopefully they will chime in. I think if you do a straight up switch you need a way to match the intensity so your corals can adjust easier. You can always get a PAR/LUX meter to test your current output and then when you switch try to match that and slowly ramp up if you need to.

@311Sean wrote:
All said:
Sean,

No matter the lights that you get for the tank I would love to see some photos. I have the same tank dimensions and would like to see how you set it up and how the lights look.

Tim

I've used diy leds on my last tank that was 30" deep no sand growing corals on bottom. Look up my diy builds if you need help.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Thanks for the replies all!! As kthomas stated, I think my biggest worry is transitioning from T5 to LED without any negative side effects. I know this all comes down to how you dial in your settings, but since I've only ever used LED for accent lighting, this will be completely new to me. I know that with my borderline tank maintenance OCD and T5 I do get great growth, so almost want to stick with what works, per se. I'd like to hear any stories of those who used T5's at one time and then went to LED. Anyone out there :) As for lifetime cost efficiency, not making this a high priority, as I am currently getting quotes for solar panels on house. I'm more worries about what will work the best for fish/corals

Tim, I will definitely pics up once running. Right now, I just have water running through a very long cycle and rock/sand, i.e. blue ridge coral, pukani base with tonga branch/plate with 5" CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand