New fry

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
Today I stopped by Franks and found that no-one had claimed the free seahorse fry that he offered yesterday. I was really surprised, so I took them home.

Unfortunately I don't have any BBS ready, but will by tomorrow. If they can hang in there, that would be good. I'd say 50% have died though. :(

This is just a quicky project that was lying around unused, so I stuck a bottom on it, and a small lid (not pictured) in the center to stop the salt spray. It holds about .8 of a gallon, and I put some macro in there so they could seek some tiny food on the plants for now. Several have hitched on it, others are swimming at the surface, and many are on the floor of the container. It is 18" x 2" x 8". 8) No heater is necessary since it is in the fish room at a constant 78F.

Suggestions are always good. The airstone is to keep some circulation, and the macro algae is acting like baffles to keep the bubbles semi-contained in a chimney-type layout.

fry3.jpg
alt="">

fry1.jpg
alt="">

fry2.jpg
alt="">

fry4.jpg
alt="">

I put in a tiny amount of DT's Oyster Eggs tonight, just in case. It may be too late for them, but I might as well try.

Cool, Marc, glad you got them.. . I was tempted to get them but am not set up for Reidi.

It looks like some of these guys are indeed hitching which is odd - I thought the seahorses Frank had were Reidi? Reidi don't hitch at birth. Maybe they are Erectus?

If they are Reidi,rotifers would be best, but some will eat BBS. At this point you have nothing to lose. Any chance you can pick up some freshly hatched bbs from someone? Poor babies, must be famished.

Let us know if some pull through.

Carolyn

I just fed them some hatched BBS, but I don't know if they have the energy to eat. They may not survive, and that has to be because they were without food for at least 36 hours if not more. :(

There appear to be a few survivors, but overall I'm not impressed. I'd much rather see a tank full of swimming fry, instead of them at the surface, in bunches doing very little.

None survived at 48 hours after I received them. :(