New 150g SPS Tank in Austin

chrisrush

Premium Member
Hi All,
I have been slowly purchasing equipment for a tank upgrade. This will be my 5th tank, ranging from a 10g in 2001 (complete disaster), 120g in 2005, 60g in 2007, 40g in 2009. I was looking at the downgrade trend and figured that I might as well go big while I had the chance.

Tank:
150g (36x36x27) - 1/2" glass, black silicone, 3x1" sch 80 bulkheads for Beananimal drain built by a Local tank builder in Dallas

PB100062.jpg
alt="">

PB100061.jpg
alt="">

PB100063.jpg
alt="">

Stand:

1" tubular steel stand fabricated by an Austin local

PA260011.jpg
alt="">

Stand/Canopy/Bookshelves
Since the tank is in my home office, I'd like to match the cabinets/doors (knotty alder) along with having 2 small bookshelves flanking the tank. This will allow me to store office/fish things but also provide some space where my ATO tank and electronics will be housed in the deadspace behind the bookshelves. (See sketchup below)

sketchupoftank.png
alt="">

Layout with proposed sump:

b809010b.jpg
alt="">

Sump:
40g (24x24x18) Tamco Sump from US Plastics. I purchased a used sump from an Austin local but the layout of it wasn't right, so I'll be selling that soon. The Tamco sump will allow me to drill easily into the side of it for my return pump and allow me to have additional water volume for water changes, etc. I plan on running all three drains into the sump with a Beananimal drain system

Skimmer:
ATB 840 v1.5

Lights: Probably the most exciting part of the build for me
48 LEDs + 2 x 24w T5s

22 NW – XPG

6 CW – XPG

20 RB – XPE

Assembled on 3 heatsinks, with 12 LEDs on 2 of the heatsinks, and 24 on the 3rd. The 2 – 12 LED heatsinks will flank the 24 LED heatsink along with 2x24w T5s (already had from a previous build)

I will control the LEDs with my Profilux controller in order to dim the LEDs to get a proper color.

During build:

DSCN0982.jpg
alt="">

DSCN0979.jpg
alt="">

Continued:

Operating LEDs at Marsh Christmas party:

leds_marsh.jpg
alt="">

leds_marsh2.jpg
alt="">

Proposed layout in canopy:

f86f99d1.jpg
alt="">

Return pump:

Reeflo Snapper powering the main tank, reactors, water change and eventual frag tank

In-tank flow:

2 x Tunze 6105 controlled by the profilux

2x Tunze 6055s controlled by the profilux (from previous tank)

I also have 2 x Tunze 6025 if I have any dead spots (unlikely)

Controller:

Profilux EX II with EVG card to control LEDs and Tunze control

CA/ALK/MG:

Profilux 4 channel dosing pump controller

Avast Marine Kalk reactor

Top-off/ATO:

15 gallon square black Tamco tank (11.5x11.5x18)

Profilux float valve to control water level in sump

Aquascape:

Minimal rockwork in tank, bonsai style main island with 2 smaller islands highlighted by the LEDs

DSC05429.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1623_redimensionar.jpg
alt="">

Coral:

90% SPS (tabeling acros along with some branching formosas)

10% LPS (chalice, acans)

Current Fish:

False Perc (already have)

Lubbocks Wrasse (already have)

2 PJ cardinals (already have)

Red Sea Pygmy Angel (already have)

Potential Fish:

Orange Shoulder / Powder Blue Tang

Copper Banded Butterfly

Scripps Rabbitfish

A pair of Angels (compatible with my Pygmy?)

@Heathd wrote:
This is such an awesome build. I cant wait to see it fully assembled. said:
You and me both. Just waiting on the delivery man to bring me the rest of my goodies.

@ctaylor81 wrote:
Great looking cube. Can't wait to see it fully set-up and full of corals... said:
Thanks. I hope to have water in it by Christmas or just after. I'm off the 2 weeks around the holidays. If all the supplies make it by then, I should be ready to move it to the office. Canopy and wood skin may not be done, but at least I can transfer the LR and fish over.

Was it pretty easy to make the LEDs? Prob going to build my new tank first part of the year

@kuyatwo wrote:
Was it pretty easy to make the LEDs? Prob going to build my new tank first part of the year said:
Don't know. I bought the materials and an electrician in Houston put it together. From what I've read, it isn't that tough to assemble, but with a newborn, I dont have a lot of spare time plus purchasing the rest of the equipment to assemble and test, it was just easier to pay someone who has built several.

Anyone have any thoughts on the fish that I have listed below?

My current fish are listed first. I would like to keep these, and possibly, find another perc in hopes of them pairing.

FYI, all pictures of the potential taken from LiveAquaria.

clown.jpg
alt="">

pygmy.jpg
alt="">

2 of these guys:
p-39336-cardinalfish.jpg
alt="">

I can't find a picture on LA for my wrasee, but here he/she is:

lubbock.jpg
alt="">

Potential fish:

Pair of these guys: (Depending on the compatibility with my pygmy)
p-67311-Lamarcks-Angel.jpg
alt="">

Always wanted one of these for valonia control

p-80618-magnificent-foxface.jpg
alt="">

Maybe 1-2 wrasse(s) depending on how the personality with my Lubbock

p-75917-wrasse.jpg
alt="">

Had one of these in my 120 and loved him

p-39354-Christmas.jpg
alt="">

Maybe 1 tang:

p-74214-Powder-Blue-Tang.jpg
alt="">

p-73707-blue-caribbean-juv.jpg
alt="">

Pair of Mandarins (likely ORA if possible)

p-39624-red-mandarin.jpg
alt="">

Always liked CBBs (if I can find one eating frozen)

p-26163-copperband-butterf.jpg
alt="">

I would get a pair of bellus angelfish the male and female are both pretty

@kuyatwo wrote:
I would get a pair of bellus angelfish the male and female are both pretty said:
I agree. I guess I need to review the angel compatibility chart again.

Should be getting my sump/plumbing parts tomorrow as well as the LEDs. Not sure when the pump will be here, hopefully tomorrow as well so that I can get this thing moved out of my garage.

Got some plumbing done last night, nothing is glued (had my boy with me and didn't want him inhaling PVC cement). I need to get the sump and pump in place before I start gluing anyways. Drain lines and return lines sketched out.

0e702022.jpg
alt="">

Also marked out where I want to bend the acrylic for my overflow. I decided not to put the Tunze pumps in the overflow since it would not be easy to remove them to clean them due to the eurobracing on the tank.

acde3b37.jpg
alt="">

Found a use for my old T5s though.

They used to light my tank, now they light the stand.

acde3b37.jpg
alt="">

Got a couple of packages in the mail today. Sump, plumbing parts (although not my gasket) and my top-off tank. Expecting my LEDs later today when FED-EX delivers.

Sump:
Has a bit of a bow to it, but I suspect it will straighten out once I get water into it. Plus, I'll only run the water level at 12" or so.

636f97bb.jpg
alt="">

Sump in place:
Fits nicely with just enough room for my return pump
0df1d878.jpg
alt="">

Plumbing parts:
2" true union ball valve, 1.5" TUBV, couple of 1" ball valves and a 2" gasket for the sump
9cae6667.jpg
alt="">

Top-off tank with and without lid:
Thinking about installing a uni-seal on the bottom with a piece of clear acrylic as a sight glass

f9a6fcb5.jpg
alt="">

12ae6459.jpg
alt="">

Overflow bent on one side:
7b64c9c8.jpg
alt="">

c45f9953.jpg
alt="">

Got a 2nd package from Fed-Ex today. This time it was my lights. They were packaged perfectly. Only 1 optic fell off, amazing, considering I've seen our Fed-Ex guy throw our boxes up to the porch. This package was a bit heavy, so I doubt he could have thrown it far, but he could have played soccer with it.

Top of LED array with fan and project box with wire connections. Each array has at least 1 fan and a project box to connect to the main supply box.

bfbaffc1.jpg
alt="">

Here is a picture of the small project box with the military style plugs

b6194c29.jpg
alt="">

All 4 drivers are housed in this project box, as well as the power source and an on/off switch. Very nice and compact.

6cbcfe5e.jpg
alt="">

This picture shows the lines coming out of the project box, 3 larger wires are for connection to each of the LED array. The 4 inputs are for dimming via the 0-10v through my profilux.

2e6c2dce.jpg
alt="">

Here is the inside of the project box. The other side of the project box is the same, 2 drivers mounted on the project box.

31640d4a.jpg
alt="">

@blfuller123 wrote:
Who built the tank? Looks great so far! said:
David Valera. His only limit is he uses 1/2" glass, since anything else gets pretty heavy. Great guy, service and product.

@chrisrush wrote:
[I]@fjr_wertheimber wrote:[/I][quote="Wow said:
Thanks. Definitely give me a ring when you get back in town. How much longer do you have?"]

I should be back sometime in February. I'll give you a yell when I get back. Mid-February I should be picking up my 220g AO Starfire DD tank (60"x48"x20") so I'll be rounding up everyone I can to help me offload it... [smilie=clapping.gif]