Need skimmer recommendation

G

i have octopus recirc skimmer. I have not moded it yet as I am getting great results. great skimmer in my opinion...check out bubble king or bubble master forgot the name i am really impressed with their skimmers also...

Assuming you plan on having macro algae in the refugium and LPS and a medium fish load in the main, I wouldn't think you would need to oversize or over-skim, heck throw a clam in there to help. I wouldn't want to go cheap but don't see the need to overkill, just my 2 cents.

I see these huge convoluted skimmers and can understand them in certain environments (e.g. heavy fish load & delicate sps) but, even then there is overkill. Don't get me wrong, quality does count, I'm talking quantity here. With the system your describing, I'd want to keep it as natural as possible. That size ratio of sump/refuge to tank, I bet you knock down most of the DOCs before it even hits the skimmer.

All that being said, I'd take a hard look at what skimmers Ashlar or Serk are running with. They have larger sump/refug to tank ratios and are very successfull.

I'm a big fan of my Turboflotor (it is a needle wheel skimmer). I modified it to make it a single-pass skimmer and it works GREAT. The price is right, too. They get passed over a lot for "trendier" brands and models, but I did a lot of research on skimmers before I decided to get it.

I think the Euroreef RS-80 would be perfectly adequate for what you need.

here's another consideration - and a link for factory discounted items for slightly blemished products but with full waranty. Saves a few bucks. Good luck and let us know how you go

http://www.precisionmarinedirect.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=634

IMO the best bang for the buck on that size tank would be the Coralife Superskimmer 65. I luv my Coralife skimmer. Simple to set up, dial in, and maintain.

@Matt wrote:
[I]@psteeleb wrote:[/I][quote="for the size and external have you considered a Remora? said:
Well I have a regular Remora (not Pro) and was thinking I would need something a little more substantial."]

Mr President......

Why not upgrade to a Mag3 on the Remora, it won't overpower the skimmer, heck you could probably go all the way to a mag5. Contact AquaC and run it past them, that would be a cheaper way to go imo. I'm sure you are also aware that the remora can also be used in-sump as well. :wink:

Cheers,