Need Ideas for a refugium

cervezamoney

Membership Expired
I'm setting up a 125 gallon single overflow with an "in sump" skimmer and a mag 9.5 for return pump. I have no idea how to plumb this to include a fug. Please help, Thanks team! 8)

I also have a 125 with a sump, but mine has dual overflows and a QuiteOne 3000 for return.

Right now mine is set up with a 55 gallon sump. The sump is divided into 3 sections. Skimmer on the left...return in the middle...fuge on the right. If I were to do it with one overflow then I would put the skimmer on the left...fuge in the middle...return on the right with the overflow flowing into the skimmer section. The second set up will help keep the fuge cleaner. The skimmer will have a chance at the detritus first.

Here is mine. You can't see the second return because it is behind the skimmer.

I just measured my stand. I don't think I could get my arms in the top of the fug if I use the 55. Is there a way to figure out a smaller size tank for my application with out getting to small :? . Don't want a flood with a power outage :lol:

Here's a pic of my DIY 55 Gallon fuge. It's a little different. You can read about it in my build log...in my signature block.

DSCF0032.jpg
alt="">

DSCF0024.jpg
alt="">

If you notice the water level of the flow through, they are both different. The first is with the power shut off...checking for tank capacity in a power outage (very important). The second one is closer to the way I run it. I also have an ATO.

Also, I've since upgraded the skimmer...I removed that piece of junk...the CSS 220.

You may be able to get away with a smaller tank with a similar design to one of these two options.

Matt here is a picture of mine. I see you live in Denton. You are welcome to come by my place sometime and see how mine is plumbed if you'd like. It is only a 20 high but the concept is the same. My drain is on the right and return is on the left. The middle compartment is the fuge.

Hey! Nice to see someone else from Denton!

I currently don't have a 'fuge on my 58g. I'm actually planning on a separate armoire/wardrobe looking cabinet that will sit next to my tank that will house most of my aquarium odds and ends, power cabinet, plus have shelves for a 'fuge and room for a future frag tank.

Yippee...more people in Denton...

The 3 baffles on the left are each 13 inches tall. The middle one is one inch off off the bottom, and all 3 are one inch apart. The one on the right is 14 inches tall. The 55 gallon tank is divided into 3 equal sections. If I were to do it again, I would make the skimmer section smaller and the fuge section bigger. My skimmer fits in it's section with a lot of room to spare.

I got me a 40 gallon, drilled one side for an external pump, now I need to figure out the best size for refugium/drain-skimmer/return baffles. Help me out denton people! Thanks Matt 972-742-8193

Hey Matt,

Check out Marc's website in his sump area, several different way's to setup that 58G. Here is the model like they have pictured above http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/f/sump_f.html , look around the different models to see which one you like. There is also info on how to determine the baffle height and how much space there should be between them.

Cheers,

Is the 40 gallon glass or acrylic? If it is glass, you will have a difficult time putting acrylic baffles in it. Mine is glass and had a glass company called Binswanger Glass in Denton cut the baffles. I also had them polish the edges so that they are not sharp. If it is acrylic, you can get pieces cut to size at Regal Plastic off of I35. For glass I went with 1/4" thick. For acrylic I would use 3/8". 1/4" acrylic flexes pretty easy. Marc could give you more info on this.

Do you plan on using an auto top off? If you do, the size of the return area can be pretty small. If the current 40 gallon one you have is drilled on the end, then I would set it up as follows. Tank overflow into skimmer area...then a 3 piece bubble trap made with baffles...then fuge...another baffle...then return. Make the skimmer section only big enough to fit the skimmer. Make sure to leave room to get it out though. My skimmer section is bigger than I wanted, but I have to tilt the skimmer to get it out. You said that you wanted to use an external pump. If so, the area for the return can be small. If you use a submerged return pump, make sure that area is big enough for the pump and plumbing. (get the pump first)

Without knowing the size of this 40 I couldn't even begin to guess at how tall to make the baffles. You may end up with the skimmer section being deeper that the skimmer instructions say. That is OK, just put the skimmer on a stand. Look at the skimmer in my pic above.

Hope this helps,

The tank is approx 15d x 36w x 17h glass. I don't think I will have enough room for an ATO. I planned on setting up refugium/drain-skimmer/return. I plan to have the drain from the tank enter the center drain/skimmer area, and tee off to feed the left refugium section with a ball valve to control flow. I had read that water passing through the fug too quickly is less beneficial. I'll check on the glass place in denton, thanks

I built my plumbing using strictly 1/2" threaded pvc fitings. You can find 1/2" male threaded connecters over in the sprinkler section of homedepot. Since this was my first attempt I figured I would make a mistake and have to redo it anyway, so I chose threaded instead of glueing everything. You hit the nail on the head about the control valve, I did not put in the tee for the control valve and almost flooded the carpet (again, hehe). So I had to unscrew a few things and add one. I also put in a check valve just past the tee headed up to the aquarium, in the event of power failure it won't back flow from the aquarium. I have a mag 5 pushing water up the 1/2" pipe and I can get more water than my overflow box can handle (it is highly modified with 1" fittings)

The picture below is just to give those an idea that dont follow what you said aboutt he flow control, dont get to hung up with the words in the picture, this is just something I grabbed off google images.
fishtanksetup1.gif
alt="">

Well my plan changed some and this is a design I borrowed from Melves reef. I added my skimmer to the drain section, cut a plexiglass top for the drain side due to water misting up on the stand, an egg crate top over the rest of the tank, and a Coralife 2 x 9 watt 6700k compact fluorescent fixture.