Need Help with RO/DI

Joe Reborn

Premium Member
I just replaced my Carbon and Sediment filters on my Melevsreef RO/DI system and now it seems as though it doesn't keep water in the last filter before the Membrain. i can hear it draining out and the water level drops. It is making 0TDS but i don't want it to affect my membrain so i thought i would ask. Also i thought it might be the auto shut off so i changed it and its the same story. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks.

Pictures? I'm happy to help. We can move this thread to my sponsored forum if the moderators wish.

You say the last one before the membrane, rather than the last one AFTER the membrane. So are you saying a carbon chamber isn't staying full, or the DI section isn't staying full?

The Carbon fills up and works like a champ but i have it hooked up to the Sink with the Chrome Faucet Diverter Valve. Then when i turn the water off it drains out (about 1/3 of the water in the last Carbon stage). I tried to Pressurize the system and it goes quite and then i open the ball valve and it just drains. I had a new auto shut off so i tried that and nothing.

DSC01201.jpg
alt="">
DSC01202.jpg
alt="">
I didn't use your filters if that matters i had to order something from BRS so i figured i would just get those since they had them. Like i said i am making 0TDS water it just drains and i though the membrain needed to stay full of water.

The filters should be the issue. Your RO unit is up high (from the angle of the pictures). I believe gravity is draining it because it doesn't have the flow rate to keep up with a spigot on the sink. I have a spigot on my sink but I use a bladder tank underneath to provide the necessary pressure for it as well as my fridge's icemaker and water.

http://www.reefaddicts.com/entry.php/27701-A-fancy-upgrade-to-my-RO-DI-setup

The membrane in the white housing on top should be staying full of water because of the ASOV as well as the check valve.

Water has to pass through the filters to exit to the next section, so it should be fine even though it looks strange to you.

Ok it had never been this way before. It is draining out of the waste water line if that helps, but i thought it had to go threw the Mem. to go to the waste water line. All i did before this started was change the 2 Carbons and the Sediment.

So everything is the same, other than changing out the filters? It sounds like something isn't full sealed to keep the water in the housing then, allowing some water to backsiphon out. Once enough air gets into that housing, the siphon is broken which could be why the rest aren't draining.

Do you hand tighten the housings when screwing them back on?

Yes hand tight. I Flipped the last filter around and made a 5gal jug and shut the water off and it didn't drain this time. I didn't think there was a Top side to the Filters. Maybe the one side just wasn't making a good seal?

There should be a flat rubber washer on both ends of the filter. And it is possible for a flat washer to remain inside the base of the acrylic housing, so always be sure it is removed because too many washers will make it impossible to screw it on all the way, resulting in leaks.

Glad to hear you were able to get it resolved.