need help with rkl

i got a new rkl lite and i need help seting up a heater i do not understand how they say to do it i want it to come on if the temp goes below 76 and go off if the temp goes above 82 can any one help me out with this i did my lights on 1 and 2 and did the wave maker on 4 i need the heater on 3 thanks [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif]

Actually, that is too wide a span. I would suggest that it turn on at 77F and off at 79F. That way it doesn't change 7 degrees as your request stated.

If it allows it, you can set the controller to turn off the lights if the tank gets over 82F to prevent further overheating.

ok that is cool but i still dont know how to program for the heater and im running led,s so no heat there but that is a cool option for if you run mh

Here is the best info i found:

Setting up a Heater:

Firmware version 2.0+
NOTE: The new "Heater" function is preprogrammed to use the iTemp of the ReefKeeper Lite, that cannot be changed. If you wish to use another temp probe (like on an SL1 or SL2,) you'll need to use the controller function.

1) Press [Menu] and scroll down to "Modules" and press [Enter]
2) Press [up] or [down] to find the PC4 you want to program and press [Enter]
3) Scroll the the outlet you wish to program and press [Enter]
4) Scroll to "Function" and press [Enter]
5) Scroll to "Heater" and press [Enter]
6) While "Set Point" is flashing you'll need to press [up] or [down] to set the first digit, press [Enter] to set and move to
the next digit. Continue until the target value is set.
Example: Input 070.1 for 70.1°
7) With "Save" flashing press [Enter] and you're done.

Firmware version 1.03
Press [Menu] scroll to "Outputs", press [Enter] scroll to the channel you want to program as a heater. Note the flashing light on 1-4 will match a flashing status light on the corresponding PC4. Press [Enter].
Mode: Do not adjust "Mode" this will be taken care of automatically.

Function: Controller
Scroll down to "Function" and press [Enter] then scroll down to "Controller" and press [Enter]

Device: iTemp
This is where you select the temp probe you will use to control the heater. We'll use "iTemp" (the temp probe supplied with each RKL.) Scroll down to iTemp and press [Enter]. Note any temp probe may be used when programming a heater.

SetPoint: 78.5
Set the target temp you want your tank to be held at. Lets use 78.5 for this example. Scroll down to "SetPoint" and press [Enter]. Pressing [up] or [down] will select a value for the flashing digit press [Enter] to move to the next digit. Pressing [Enter] at the last digit will take you back to the previous screen to move on to the next step.

Hysteresis: See page 11 for a description of hysteresis and how it's used here.
I personally like to set hysteresis for 0.1 for temp control to keep my tank as stable as possible without cycling my heaters on/off all the time. Set Hysteresis like you set the SetPoint.

On When: "Below"
With “On When” flashing, press [Enter] and scroll to "Below" and press [Enter] to select. This tells the control function that you want the device (in this case a heater,) to come on when the "iTemp" temp probe reads below the Set Point minus the Hysteresis (as described.)

Once set, press [Back] until "Function" is blinking. At this point the channel you've selected is programmed as a heater that will keep you tank at 78.5 degrees plus or minus 0.1 degree. Pressing [Back] again will display the channel with a blinking "Save" press [Enter] to save your setup or back to discard it.

You can press [Back] until you're at the home screen or proceed to the next channel by scrolling [up] or [down].

Hope it helps!
Vi

ok i have all of that info in front of me but i do not undersand it mainly the Hysteresis: See page 11 for a description of hysteresis and how it's used here.
I personally like to set hysteresis for 0.1 for temp control to keep my tank as stable as possible without cycling my heaters on/off all the time. Set Hysteresis like you set the SetPoint.if i program it to turn on how do i programe it to turn off

If I remember right I think it's like this

go to menu > pc4 > ch3 > function > heater > set it at the temp you want it to kick on at. Then back out go to mode then click auto

When u used the heater fiction u can only set a on temp set it to your desired temp then set the hist to .5 then it will come on .5 below your set point then off .5 above your set point so if it's 78 it will come on at 77.5 and off at 78.5

Hysteresis keeps it from triggering repeatably when it is right on the edge of a temperature.

e.g. If you have the set point at 78.0 and the Hysteresis at .1 then the heater will not kick on until it trips at 77.8(77.9 it is still off because it is within .1). It will then stay on until it heats it to the set point of 78.0.

If you would like to see where the Hysteresis is a good idea set up a the net module to send you an email at a certain temperature. I did this the other day and it sent me 100+ emails in 1-2 minutes because it was right at the edge of the set point.

Mitch

OK cool now i got it thanks for the explanation i think i can figure it out now that is were i was having a problem they do not enplane the hysteresis so i was having problems