need help with LED optics

I'm putting together my LED light fixture, and I've run into a minor issue. I hope someone here can help me out. I'm putting 40 deg optics on the led, and the optics won't stay on the white LED. The royal blue and green LED do hold the optics but do so very loosely. I'm using Cree XR-E Q5 for the whites, and XR-E for the royal blue and green. The optics are also from Cree. All items where bought from ETG.

I've looked around on the web and I've found that some optics need to/should be glued to the LED. Does anyone know what is the best way to do this? Some say to use superglue, while others say DO NOT use superglue as it will cloud the LED lens. Some say use hot glue, while others say not to use hot glue as its hard to work with and leaves strings of glue everywhere.

I need help
Paul

My LEDs are a mixture of the xp-g xp-e and xr-e. The XR-E came with the cone like optics and fit very snug to the LED. However on the xp-g/e I had to use a small, and i mean pen tip small amount of superglue to keep the cylinder type optics in place.

I wouldn't use a thin superglue get a gel, hell even some rubber cement might work as well. It just needs enough adhesive to keep an optic that weighs less than a gram on a star.

HTH

Digging around on some of the big DIY threads on RC and elsewhere, I ran into a recommendation to use a product called "Tacky Glue" (I think it's white glue based). I picked up a bottle (from Amazon, but I suspect hobby shops will have it) and it worked great for me. It adds just enough hold to keep them on in normal usage, but they can be easily removed if you ever need to.

@pskaggs11 wrote:

I got hold of ETG and they sent me a copy of the Cree data sheet. In there Cree states items they have tested and approve of or do not approve for use with their leds. In there is listed a 3M dp100 plus epoxy. This stuff is hard to find, I got mine from Grainger. Now on to buttoning this thing up and getting it on the tank.

Thanks for the input. I looked at the tacky glue, but was worried about its standing up to the heat long term. I know there is not much heat but there is heat right at the led. As to the superglue Cree states that it is not approved for use. Its vapors can cloud the led lens.