need advise on controllers

Neptune is all I ever had. LOVE it! Controls just about anything, and hopefully by mid November, it will control my ai hydras. I also control 2 tanks.

~Matt

I have both. The Reefkeeper Lite is fine for minimal control and monitoring, but it really doesn't compare to the Apex. The Apex is much better IMHO.

Apex between the two. Couple more choices are reef angel (if you are computer savvy). If money is no object the best controller in my opinion is Profilux

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'd go with Apex, but I noticed you are comparing the Reefkeeper Lite to it so maybe you meant Apex Lite? Here's the thing to consider: A "lite" version of any controller means you get some pre-programmed features, but the full version is for more flexible. You'll be able to tailor the system with many options. It hurts the wallet to make the bigger purchase, but it will be a longterm benefit to your tank(s).

There are more things in the works for Apex now, btw.

I've been looking at the same two controllers but what is my pumps are controllable and my lights just need to be turned on and off because they are not dimmable? as far as monitoring goes and simple switching on and off is the Reef keeper lite on par with the apex Jr?

Check to see if the controller in question can turn off the lights if the tank gets too hot temperature-wise. And that it has sufficient amps to run all the heaters without tripping if the tank gets too cold. Also, do you want to be notified via email or text if the tank has an issue?

I tried to break it down to $$$. Here's a couple of the "starter" controllers: RKL vs. RKL+ vs. Apex Jr. vs. Apex Lite

The "Total Cost" part is adding together the things that I would need for my aquarium. (I don't have controllable lights or pumps)
(Costs are for NEW equipment. Found on manufacturer website or BRS)

Seems like the biggest cost difference is if you want to monitor your tank through your phone or computer.
Click chart to see it larger.
[attachment=0]controller spreadsheet.JPG[/attachment]

Nice price breakdown, texreefer. Looking at all four, the price hardly varies even though you included the Lite versions. They really don't save but a few meager dollars, so it's pretty clear to me that going with a full version controller would be the better investment.

Depending on your geek level and technical ability you might also check out ReefAngel. It's a great product that is completely open source hardware and software. It has great software to begin with and you can make it do whatever you've got the skills to code it to do. It has a great community that is very helpful and knowledgeable. The main guy Robert that designs the hardware and software is very good and very fast to respond to any questions or help requests. He also tries to support interfacing with any type of hardware you might want to control. From DC pumps, wavemakers, LED lighting, to dosing pumps, if it's out there in the aquarium space there's a good chance you can control it with the ReefAngel.

@Ben Runnels wrote:
Depending on your geek level and technical ability you might also check out ReefAngel. It's a great product that is completely open source hardware and software. It has great software to begin with and you can make it do whatever you've got the skills to code it to do. It has a great community that is very helpful and knowledgeable. The main guy Robert that designs the hardware and software is very good and very fast to respond to any questions or help requests. He also tries to support interfacing with any type of hardware you might want to control. From DC pumps said:
I've looked into these but found the cost is pretty much the same as other controllers after buying all the parts correct or do they have packages like rkl or apex?

Yeah, the cost is pretty similar. The benefit is flexibility. If you like to control any and every aspect of what's going on you can do that with ReefAngel. With the others you're limited to do only what they've written support for or have hardware for. With RA if it doesn't support a piece of hardware you want to control you can write the code to add support. You also have to do things the way Apex and RK want you to do them. With RA if you don't like the way the RA code does something, you can modify and make it work the way you want it to. Finally, if you break your Apex or RK you have to send it back and pay to to get it repaired. With the RA all the schematics and PCB design files are available so if you know how you can troubleshoot and fix it yourself (You can also RMA with RA and pay them to fix it).

Now all this flexibility does come with a price. It's not dumbed down very much for the non-technical, non-geek types, so it might not be a good fit for someone that just wants to plug something in and configure a couple things in a GUI.

Well, it's a little cheaper. The base model that does what the other bases do, minus ORP, plus WiFi, plus lighting control, with 8 controlled AC ports is $378. Plus it has a color LCD on the main unit that you control with a joystick. It also includes 3 temperature probes.

It's all arduino based code so there are lots of resources out there if it was something you were interested in learning. The arduino is a learning and teaching platform so there are LOTS of options to learn with it.

@Marc wrote:
Check to see if the controller in question can turn off the lights if the tank gets too hot temperature-wise. And that it has sufficient amps to run all the heaters without tripping if the tank gets too cold. Also said:
Good points. Thanks

I do want email and maybe even remote control app on my phone

@texreefer wrote:
I tried to break it down to $$$. Here's a couple of the "starter" controllers: RKL vs. RKL+ vs. Apex Jr. vs. Apex Lite The "Total Cost" part is adding together the things that I would need for my aquarium. (I don't have controllable lights or pumps) (Costs are for NEW equipment. Found on manufacturer website or BRS) Seems like the biggest cost difference is if you want to monitor your tank through your phone or computer. Click chart to see it larger. [attachment=0]controller spreadsheet.JPG[/attachment] said:
Awesome thanks