need advice

right now the only filtration i have beside live rock and cuc is a hang on the back filter... i know its not good what so ever.... it is making my nitrates a little higher... around 20 which isnt bad but i dont want any.... i dont have a sump or fuge... i do have a DIY over flow made but just havent got around to getting a sump... i do have some rubbermaid containers laying around and can prob use one of those.. im just completely scared of it over flowing....

i have about 50 pds live rock.. the tank is 60 gallons.. i have i have maybe like 10 snails total.. 3 hermits.. a sandsifting starfish for cuc...... do you think i could just tank the hang on the back filter off for now?? or would it do worse than better?

I would get a good protein skimmer that you can hang on the back and forget the filter. Look for one you can put in a sump so that when you are ready to take the plunge you will not have to get another skimmer. Spend a little extra and get a better protein skimmer.

@DennisF wrote:
I would get a good protein skimmer that you can hang on the back and forget the filter. Look for one you can put in a sump so that when you are ready to take the plunge you will not have to get another skimmer. Spend a little extra and get a better protein skimmer. said:
but while i dont have one can i just take that filter off? or do you think it will make stuff spike?? and you are saying when i can get a protien skimmer that can hang on the back and be put in sump?

I cannot comment on removing the filter. That depends on what you bioload is and how old your rock/tank is. I would not just take it away. There are skimmers that work both as a hang on back and in the sump.

@DennisF wrote:
I cannot comment on removing the filter. That depends on what you bioload is and how old your rock/tank is. I would not just take it away. There are skimmers that work both as a hang on back and in the sump. said:
yeah i only have 2 clowns... the rest are cuc and corals... and live rock.....

do you have any recommendations for protein skimmers that would work as a hob and in sump skimmer?

The Aqua C Remora's and Remora Pro's are my favorite HOB skimmers. They can be used in sump too. I've had 3 remora's and one pro so far. All for different setups(and all used as HOB). I actually have a Remora in my garage right now that isn't working. Something's wrong with the spray injection. I emailed Aqua C and they told me they'd fix it for 10 bucks if I shipped it to them. That was about a year ago...haha. I've been way to busy with school to take care of it and it's just taking up space, so if you want to come pick it up I'll give it to you for free. You'll just have to send it in and get it fixed. Also, the skimmer doesn't have a pump so you'll need one of those too. I always used the MJ1200's. Oh, and I can't find the cap to the skimmate box. So if you want to take care of all those things and come pick it up let me know.
Mike

Hi,

Also look into the new Octopus HOB skimmers with bubble blaster pumps....good reviews. http://glassbox-design.com/2009/octopus-hang-on-hob-skimmer-bubble-blaster/

Cheers,

Zowie - now that looks like it would skim amazingly well.