Need a recommendation on LED

nobody

Membership Expired
I want to replace my 250 MH with LED equivalent. I know some folks here have done a switch and would like to hear your opinions, please. The tank is 72" W x 24" D x 26" H. I prefer 3 separate LED fixtures over the 3 openings so that I can gradually switch them over because I want to evaluate one first.

Please share.

Thanks,

Moved to this forum.

I am installing three Evolution fixtures on our 200 gal tank and it is 84" later this week.

I made a post comparing PAR numbers in the equipment forum and am using 3 heat sinks with 24 LEDs each over a 72x30x28. PAR seems the same as 6 month old 250 Phoenix but peeps on RC say that the meters underestimate by 20% so it's more than enough light.

I used to use teh MaxSpect lights which are real popular on RC and Mid-Cities Aquariums has some to look at. They're aren't as efficient but they're stronger than necessary.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=84494

Here is the link to my conversion from MH to LED. I just did it this weekend so it is too early to know for sure that all my corals will be fine. Unique is local and you can email Chris to get detailed information about their lights. The prism fixtures would meet your requirement of being able to replace a fixture at a time.

http://ledreef.com/

Thanks for the link. I did read your post and follow the link. His page says the LED fixture is equivalent to 150W MH, so I'm a bit unsure about my (somewhat) tall tank. I'll eventually talk/email him to be sure.

I'm really pushing the height limits. My tank is 29" tall and my lights are 6" above the tank. I don't think this will be a problem with my setup since I Mainly have soft corals and my clams are derasa clams which do not need intense light. I ran a tall tank for a long time with 4 VHO lights (440w total) with no problems with the type of corals and clams I currently have. If the Prism is equivalent to 150w than I'm at 450w now.

If you have higher light demanding corals than you may need more light. I will be the first to admit that it is pretty confusing and I don't have the time to try to figure it all out. MH may have a higher wattage but depending on the type and quality of the reflector you may be losing the intensity. LED's are directing the light down so things may be more efficient with lower wattage.

I would follow what David (washintond) is doing. It seems like his tank size is similar to yours and I think he has a good mix of soft and sps corals so his setup will be a good test for LED's

Check with Chris of Unique about making custom fixtures. They may be able to use a fixture like the Prism and add more LEDs to increase the intensity.

I built my fixture using LEDs from Rapid LED. I spent about a day and a half building it. My tank is 36 inches tall, I use 96 3 watt Cree LEDs with 8 dimmable drivers. I have never put a par/lux meter but I am getting good growth from all my sps and I do keep a clam that is is 26 inches below the water line and 34 inches below the lights.

@blfuller123 wrote:
I built my fixture using LEDs from Rapid LED. I spent about a day and a half building it. My tank is 36 inches tall said:
Will you be willing to share the cost of DIY for this?

Thanks,

@washingtond wrote:
Moved to this forum. I am installing three Evolution fixtures on our 200 gal tank and it is 84" later this week. said:
Please share results/impression when you switch over.

@nobody wrote:
[I]@washingtond wrote:[/I][quote="Moved to this forum. I am installing three Evolution fixtures on our 200 gal tank and it is 84" later this week. said:
Please share results/impression when you switch over."]

Just got the new canopy and LED lights installed and the coverage is great with them set 9" above the waterline. I will try and post some pictures on my build thread this evening or tomorrow.

@nobody wrote:
Will you be willing to share the cost of DIY for this? Thanks said:
I have about $1100 in my light including the custom made heat sink.

60x10 inch Heat Sink
34zimo1.jpg
alt="">

LED Kits
2s84fvd.jpg
alt="">

Ready to wire
33ogubr.jpg
alt="">

Finished
96f69c.jpg
alt="">

I've got the same fixture as washingtond over my 29g. Click the link in my sig to check my build log with tons of pictures... and here's a link to a review I wrote on the light.
http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/303-120w-14k-Evolution-LED-Review

Thank you all for your inputs. I ordered the 120W 14K Evolution LED from Reef Led Lights about 2 weeks ago. The unit is on back order so I was told not to expect a shipment until mid June! [smilie=devil.gif]

If this goes well, I think I'll build my next 2 as I'm always a tinkerer [smilie=lol.gif]