Natural Daylight for tanks

Malefactor

Membership Expired
So, toying with this idea and going to give it a go and see how it works.

Looking a product called Solatube. It's basically the same principal as a skylight, but not nearly as large or pricey. Light reflector catches light and disperses it through the room via reflection... Now, multiple reasons i'm looking at this. It not only allows natural daylight, but moonlight as well.

This can be beneficial in natural vitamins (such as B and D that are derived from sunlight) as well as breeding fish that rely on a specific lighting / lunar cycle. Not to mention the obvious that there will be PLENTY of light for coral species.

The tube + installation and all is $650 and can features things such as a dehumidifier, dimmer and can even be set with additional light or moonlight high efficiency CFL or LED.

The biggest benefit i see in something like this isn't in the form of the lighting it provides to a single tank and what it offers... But for someone like me that's on a budget and doesn't have an infinite pocketbook... I can put this in a room which is it's actual purpose. To supply light to an entire room... And light ALL of my tanks at once... $650 flat. No continuous electrical charge. No bulbs to replace... 10 yr warranty and all that jazz... Then the 3 X 75G Freshwater breeding rack, 135G Salt, 55G refugium / frag and grow out tanks ALL get lit with the proper lighting for growing corals, micro algae and plants.

Now, my question is... What can be done to combat the ultimate issue that will inevitably arrive in the form of ALL the algae!!! I'm planning an algae scrubber that will be done by the end of the week... Think this will be enough or will it be completely rendered useless with the whole tank being lit up like that? Obviously, water will have to be kept PRISTINE as far as RO/DI and the such. What else would help alleviate this problem.

Only prob is you only will get to see you tanks when there is sunlight out at night you will not be able to see the tank with out any lights. Also if you like a 10k look of your corals this will work if you like a little bluer tank then you might not like sola tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now i'm running 10000K and it's good. For the blue / highlighter look, i plan on running blue LED moonlights for night viewing. At least that's the plan. I've already got the moon lights and run them at night, so it shouldn't change much there.

Solartubes are directional light. It won't light all your tanks, but multitudes of tubes would. I just got back from a trip to Charlotte and the club's vice president showed me his reef. He has two solartubes pointing into a 120g reef, and he had a plethora of LEDs as well. In addition, he had to install three UV filters in each tube because the sunlight's intensity burned his corals.

Essentially, this can be done. Is it cost effective? Maybe. Will there be a massive learning curve? Yes. Will an algae scrubber keep up? I tend to doubt it. It would be best if you could visit a few solartube'd reefs in person to get a good visual and hear the perspective of those hobbyists and what they've learned through hands-on experience.

I'd suggest you invest in a few LED fixtures since they have purported longevity, low power consumption, and typically don't require a chiller. You may have to run heaters though - that's pretty common.

Yeah, it looks like i may have to go with LED and just spot light my tank for now. I can't afford a full LED system (Even DIY... Heck, i'm about to post stuff to get a skimmer, because now i'm going to NEED one, and don't have one). However, a friend of mine pointed out that the purpose of the Solatube wouldn't really be worthwhile anyways. The point is my wife and her art work + depression issues. It's VERY dark in our livingroom. So, we were going to get the Solatube to brighten the place up and get some good Vitamin D and such from actual sunlight for her and lighting the fish tanks was gonna be a bonus, so we could justify the cost for both of us. However, both of us do primarily stay up late so it would prove useless. So, gonna get some Cree's, probably XPG2 or XML2 to light the room and make some lights for the tank. Still debating color combination for the tank if i wanna stick to the good old fashioned 2RB XPG2 + 1CW XPG2 or XML2... Or if i want to go with a modified 2RB/1CW/1UV... Not sure what would get me the best effect for Anemones + Corals. Gonna make just enough lights to target the specific thing i'm lighting for now and not the whole tank at a time since i only have 3 corals and 1 anemone for now.

I picture some type of project like this in your future. [smilie=wink.gif]

[attachment=2]mike-diy-leds.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]mike-diy-leds-2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]mike-diy-leds-3.jpg[/attachment]

Close *lol* i am a very big DIY kinda guy :) i just love to tinker. Work with everything. Wood, plastics, acrylic, metal hehe. Annoys the crap out of my wife. Not because i'm always doing something... well, she gets annoyed by that too... But because as an artist she loves to create. She can draw and paint... Something i completely fail at. But in her words "there's nothing you can look at or examine and NOT recreate" *lol*. Eventually i'll get there, but not nearly enough money for it... THat's my biggest limiting factor... Salt water world done well was not meant for a barrista *lol*

OH! btw, about to post my idea for a sump... first attempt at it. i hear you're the guy i should question hehe