Naso Tang - discoloration, sickness?

rio32

Premium Member
I have a large size Naso Tang that has recently developed "discolored" spots on his left side.
I have had him for approximately 6 mos. and he has done very well.

He is eating normally, swimming normally, acting normally.
There are no abrasions, lesions, sores of any kind.

He had a "white" spot about the size of a dime just under the two you see in the photo. After about 36 hours, it disappeared.

Just want to make sure it's not something serious.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm attaching a photo of each side of the fish.

Tracy

My naso had spots like that before he died. Due to other symptoms that he developed later, I assume he had velvet, but if you find out that this is unrelated, please let us know.

It does look to me like there are dark spots inside the white ones. Mine didn't have that at all. How long has he had the spots? Mine only developed them a couple days before he died, and his were on both sides near the tail. On mine they were fairly semetrical too. Interested to see what others say on this, as you got a MUCH better picture of it than I could. Mine wouldn't stay still until he was on the bottom unable to swim.

@Matt wrote:
That's odd. Is he flashing against the rocks or sandbed? Any recent fish additions lately? said:
No flashing of any kind.

I did add two bangaii cardinals about 3 weeks ago. However, they had been at the lfs for several weeks and I watched them to make sure they were healthy.

The dark spots in the middle seem to be the darker pigment of the skin and not sores or anything like that. (ie: the normal dark gray color)

These literally appeared overnight. They were not there yesterday. The other spot that he had appeared overnight as well and was gone within 24-36 hours.

Puzzling......

@silveroak wrote:
It does look to me like there are dark spots inside the white ones. Mine didn't have that at all. How long has he had the spots? Mine only developed them a couple days before he died said:
The spots appeared overnight.

Update......The Naso is back to normal and the spots have disappeared.
It took about 3 days.

Still puzzled as to what this was.

@Matt wrote:
He looks great! said:
Thanks Matt! I'm just glad he is back to normal.

I appreciate you responding so quickly when I first posted the thread.

Thanks to all who responded as well. DFWMAS is a great resource!