My sump design

OK, so I am planning on getting my sump going soon. I found a great deal on a used 55/60 gallon tank for $40.00. It's small enough to fit into my stand with the dimensions of 36" X 18 X 20. The skimmer I found is a CoraLife Cone Skimmer for a 300 gallon tank so the skimmer area is going to be 13" wide, and the refugium is going to be 10 X 18 with an 18 inch baffle between the refugium and the return section in the middle.

Here is a SketchUp of what I am thinking. (To give credit where credit is due, I took the skimmer, water pump, heater and ball valves from a SketchUp model by Eric032990)

Sump1.jpg
alt="">

Sump2.jpg
alt="">

So here are the questions...

1. The refugium is only going to be approximately 15 gallons, is that going to be big enough if the DT is 150 gallons. I have heard that 10% if the DT is just the bare minimum that should be done. I could make it bigger but that would make the return area smaller and I don't want the pump to be able to drain that area.

2. What all should be put into a refugium of this size? I eventually want a Green Mandarin so I want to make sure that pods have what they need to grow. I was thinking three or four inches of sand, live rock, and some Chaeto or other greenery.

3. For reactors, is it normal to drive them with the return pump or should I consider adding a second pump for the reactors?

4. Do I have it correct that the reactors should be supplied with water from the return area then return the water from the reactors to either the refugium or the return area?

Let me know if you see something that I need to change in this design.

Thanks

Tim

OK, lets try this again... The last time I tried to post this the site went down.

So, Eckolancer it looks like we may have to figure it out our selves. I was looking at having the reactors on the outside of the sump and then back into the sump but when I was at DNA the other day they had this reactor running for phosphates in the coral room. It was attached to the side of the tank with suction cups and they had a water pump that attached directly to the bottom of the container. I was thinking abut building something like this and putting it in the return area of my sump.

Reactor.jpg
alt="">

I have seen those reactors and they seem to be ok but not great. I think I have mine figured out and will take some pics once I get them finished

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Add float valve holders for your ATO in your pump area. I have adjustable ones installed in mine. you really only need one. i got 3 cause of backup in case the first float switch get messed up somehow, the other switches are for back up. So i don't flood my house. Also add some probe holders for your controller if you plan on having one in the future, better to have it installed now than later. I also put a frag rack in my Refugium area, hate having a frag rack hanging on a magnet in my DT. Takes away from the cosmetics of the tank.

alt="">

Heres a pic of how im doing mine. There is two valves for both of the reactors. [attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391880287.282771.jpg[/attachment]

So both reactors will be inside your sump?

And besides Phos and Carbon, what are the other uses of reactors should be considered?

Tim

One is bio pellets one is carbon. But carbon will only run for about 2 weeks then shut it off for 3 months then back on with new carbon. Repeat cycle

Need to read about them. From what ive seen and read they can help you skip water changes.

For your reactors, if it were me I would have a T with a valve off of the return line for the carbon. But, I would use a small, separate pump for the bio-pellets. A bio pellet reactor doesn't require a lot if flow. Just enough to get the pellets tumbling, but not a high "boil".

Why only run carbon for a few weeks at a time? If you are dosing regularly, carbon should be a good regular supplement to your skimmer.

My bio pellet reactor recommends a mag 9.5 it is very large reactor. I do dose cal alk and mag. I dont own a carbon reactor yet. Lol

So, whats the height that I need to put the probe and float mounts and I am assuming that they are put into the return area.

Tim

Just a thought,

With a valve for each of the reactors you'll be able to adjust each flow individually but the open pipe to the refugium will take almost all of the flow. I'd think even with the valves fully open your refugium would take 80% of the flow. Why not move the first valve to below the T so you can adjust the flow directly to the refugium?

I don't think you'll get enough flow to your reactors with the open refugium pipe.

@tdsapp wrote:
So said:
You would want the probe holder just below the water line in the return area. It's where your skimmer is at and is usually at a constant level. usually around 10-11" The height of your first baffle where the water is flowing over.

Your float mount would be for ATO. it'll be at the level you want your water in your "pump area" to be. usually 5" or so. enough to cover your return pump and a couple inches for leeway. One of the reason i went with an adjustable float mount. that way i can adjust it to whatever height i want.