My seahorse tank

MarcoG

Membership Expired
I've always wanted a seahorse tank and decided to do some research about 2 months ago. Everyone I asked said that it was difficult and they would probably die. I've had one seahorse from the beginning and just recently (about 2 weeks ago) added another. The tank is a 10 gallon from my LFS, the light is a 50/50, the filter is marineland penguin 100, and I added a couple of LED moonlights to the underside of the light strip. All the contents are from my 115 DAS reef tank minus the live sand. I bought new Fiji Pink sand because the sand in my 115 is packed with crushed coral and I wanted to start with a clean sandbed. There is no heater because it's the summer and the tank stays at 78 degrees at it's highest.

Enjoy!
http://picasaweb.google.com/unttrmptplyr/SeahorseTank?feat=directlink

They eat very well. I feed the ghost shrimp twice a day and the smaller one goes after them like his life depends on it... haha. It usually takes them a while to finish the shrimp.

very nice! i just love seahorses! you've got a great little tank there. can't wait to get mine set up. its in process. quick question on the shrimp you're feeding yours. i assume they are live correct? where do you keep them before feeding? is this something you think that can be kept in my sump on my larger tank until feeding time or would they just find their way to the return pump and feed my other fishies instead? how much do ya pay for ghost shrimp? thanks for your help! :)

I keep my shrimp in a 2 Gallon Hex that I got at Petsmart. It has an underravel filter, some blue and white gravel (makes the shrimp easier to see), a light, a small air pump, and I put a plant in there for them to eat.
Here's a link to the pic:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Qginsh2H9fvxJ_14gvqwSA?feat=directlink

I wouldn't recommend putting them in your sump. You don't have to get a hex like I have, a simple bowl that you can find at your LFS will work. All you really need to put in there is an air stone.

The shrimp only cost $0.30 each.

is it really necessary to keep the ghost shrimp separated? i mean why not just let them be in the tank with the horses? then they could kind of hunt them. or would they just over-eat? just curious as to why they must be kept apart.

Yes it is. The ghost shrimp are fresh water animals and I've noticed that when I feed my seahorses if they don't eat them within 30 mins the shrimp tend to die off fairly quickly. I think this way keeps the seahorse tank cleaner too.

@unttrmptplyr wrote:
Yes it is. The ghost shrimp are fresh water animals and I've noticed that when I feed my seahorses if they don't eat them within 30 mins the shrimp tend to die off fairly quickly. I think this way keeps the seahorse tank cleaner too. said:
I'm sparkling new to saltwater, but I had the general idea from my readings that feeding freshwater animals to saltwater was a bad idea in the long run. I can't remember exactly where I read this, something about the right nutrients not being in the FW and what not. Is this not a problem?

You can buy Ghost and Saltwater feeder shrimp here:

http://www.livebrineshrimp.com/

I buy the commercial size (saltwater shrimp) and keep them in a 20 gallon tank. The best part is the saltwater shrimp don't die if uneaten. They actual eat some of the algae also.

My seahorses also eat frozen Mysis.