My new little babies... - Dwarf seahorses

[I got some dwarf seahorses today. One of the males actually gave birth about 30 minutes after I put him in the tank. Here is a picture of the pregnant male before he had babies...]

[All the little specks are brine shrimp. If I can actually raise the babies to about 2 months, then I might be putting some out here for a very low price (since this is my first batch). If anyone is interested, let me know. They take a very small tank (like 2.5 - 5 gallons) and have some special needs when it comes to their environment. I can explain what I know thus far if you are interested. I honestly don't expect to be successful with these babies since this is my first time, but I am going to try really hard to keep them alive.]

[They are always adorable! Thanks for posting pictures.

I know heaters are unacceptable, but at MACNA I saw they had a flat heater that was like a credit card that you could suction cup to the glass of smaller nano tanks. I wonder if that would be feasible? You could probably even bury it in the substrate.]

[The light tends to heat it during the day. In the mornings, it seems to be about 74-75, so I don't think I need a heater. It's only a 2.5 gallon tank.]

[Congrats Jody! They look great, where did you order from?
I may be interested in some dwarfs in the future so keep me in mind when you get the little cuties raised!]

[Congrats on the buy and the surprise Jody!! :smart:
Is there a guide on taking care/setting a tank up for seahorse care? Thinking about a nano tank for seahorses down the road and wanted to start reading up. Why is Amanda's tank so camera shy? We should picket her house until she gives us pics of her new babies. :eyebrows:]

[Amanda--I bought them from
Aqualand
Keep in mind that they are wild caught, not captive bred like you can get at Ocean Rider.

misery--Here is the most recent book I know of that is specifically about dwarf seahorses. I got this book and it's a pretty quick read and has some nice pictures to boot! I found it cheapest here:
Dwarf Seahorse book at Overstock

I'll keep you guys posted...]

Edited By buyitjody on 1098983891

[I have my dwarf tank ready for new dwarfs! Yours look great, if you decide you have too many fry let me know. I'm going to be ordering my horses either in November or after Christmas.

Carolyn]

[Carolyn,

If I am successful in getting the babies to live to the end of Dec., then you are more than welcome to purchase some for cheap! I'll try to keep things posted.]

[congrats jody - seems like just yesterday I was buying phyto and talking with you about your soon-to-arrive dwarves.
Best of Luck - and if you want to get rid of some extra phyto just let me know.]

How are those babies coming along and how much would you ask for a pair? :shock: hehe. Hope they're doing well.

My girlfriend (seems like every post of mine has something to do with her...) is really wanting to keep Seahorses but she is afraid of the maintenance involved if they absolutely require live food. I would definitely avoid that myself as well and since they are the spawn of wild-caught SH's are they going to be able to adapt to frozen mysis or is that not likely since the parents are probably never going to?

I would love to add a pair to my 10 gallon to spark her interest in it because she thinks I'm silly for staring at it for hours, and I want to get her hooked like I am...haha.

Animal_Mother, you and your girlfriend should definitely attend Next Wave in January. One speaker will be talking exclusively about how to keep Seahorses successfully, and will be there all day for you to ask more questions.

I wouldn't get off work that day until 2PM. I work every Saturday morning unfortunately. No way my bosses superintendant would let me off to go to a "fish seminar"... cuz the other guys get way too much overtime... that's another story.. if I could attend for half the day though I could probably make that happen. I work in Euless so it wouldn't be a far drive.

Believe me Marc, I'm more than anxious to join DFWMAS and attend all the functions I can to further educate myself in my new found addiction and meet people as fascinated by it all as I am. It would be nice to hang out with people who don't think I'm a freak! :lol: