My maxima clam seems to be having issues

titusmaul

Membership Expired
This has been going in for about 48 hours now. I did a freshwater dip using rodi at about 6:30am this morning on the advise of a local fish shop. I did have a bit of a nitrate and phosphate spike due to installing a new refugium.. What should I do?
a6u7ajyn.jpg
alt="">

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are difficult to keep and slight changes can up set them. Nothing to do but keep tank stable and hope for the best. If you are making any changes you should QT them in the water from the MD and don't put them back into MD until the tank is stable and closely matches the QT water.

Well this is a sad day. I really hope it gets better. The clam is by far my favorite thing in the tank.

A clam is not a fish, it's an invert. Coral Magazine did a great article on clams a few months back. All of the rapid changes and moving also upsets them. They essentially see by the changes of lighting, like the presence of shadows. As long as the water is within spec, you have a good light on your tank, and decent flow, you clam should open up after a few days fully. It can't regulate it's system like a fish when it comes to salt. Think of it more like a snail. How long have you had it?

How many inches is it? Smaller clams require more attention depending the nutrients in your water column. Large clams require lots of intake, but smaller requires more manual feeding. Are you doing any sort of spot feeding?

@ReefJunky wrote:
How many inches is it? Smaller clams require more attention depending the nutrients in your water column. Large clams require lots of intake said:
I spot feed phytofeast. The clam is about a inch and a half.