my first SPS

I recently upgraded to metal halide lighting and am wanting to start dabbling in SPS. I acquired a birdsnest frag last week and it is doing really well- polyps are fully extended, good color, and pale on the very tips showing new growth. I am wanting to add a few more frags but don't know which are good beginner SPS. I am interested in Stylophora, but different sites show conflicting information on the level of care. Also interested in montipora digita. Can someone please point me in the right direction to some good ones to start off with?

I would say if your confident in keeping your levels in check a stylophora would do fine, so would a digitata. I consider them both to be easier sps to keep. Hows the flow in your tank. Also if you havent already you may want to read up on redbugs, acro eating flatworms, and montipora nudi's. May save you some trouble down the road.

Thanks. I have read some on those parasites already. As for the flow- I would say its a medium flow. I had a bubble coral that did so great in my last tank (a 24 gal nano cube), but now that I have transfered everything over to my new tank (a Solana with stock pump) the flow is too high for it. I have tried to move it everywhere but the flow is just too high. So, even though it is just the stock pump, to me it seems like pretty good flow. I was going to add a koralia, but the bubble is so unhappy already.

In a small tank you might have conflicting interest between the bubble coral and SPS corals, what you may try to do is put another pump in there and direct it away from your corals, point it at the back glass or something, this will increase indirect flow and may bother you soft corals less, but in the end i'm sure it will come to a choice between nice inflated, fat soft corals or nice colorful SPS pieces. Good luck!

Casey, I've got a brown digi you can put in your tank. I also might still have a Tricolor Validia frag. If it's still there you can have that too - it might do better in your solana than my pico.